TWENTY TWO

Chapter Twenty Two
"I wouldn't. I don't want any insight into
that messed up head of yours."

       "HOW DO YOU JUST NOT CARE?" Marley's sudden question disrupted the silence between her and Adrian

"HOW DO YOU JUST NOT CARE?" Marley's sudden question disrupted the silence between her and Adrian. Still busy with her colouring book, she was sat in front of the leather couch as her newly claimed boyfriend lounged over the cushions, swinging a knife dangerously close to her head.

The knife was caught in his tight fist. "What?" he asked, adjusting his glasses as he watched Marley lift her head from the table to find a new pencil. On the second floor, the air was still an a lot more breathable then the tense atmosphere that had filled the bottom. It seemed to be more cozy and more relaxing with the TV in front of them playing some type of news report that had became nothing more then white noise.

The soft sound of the old piano appeared below, tenderly slipping through the staircase and drowning the news station. "Like... you just don't care what they think of you," Marley tried to clarify, her finger absentmindedly gliding across the box of pencils with her bottom lip caught between her teeth in thought. She plucked a random colour, going back to absentmindedly scribbling out small symbols across the background of the newly selected picture.

Adrian bit his bottom lip in thought as he sat up. He offered a mere shrug before speaking: "I don't know. I've always just been better so..."

Marley squinted her eyes. "That sounds a bit narcissistic," she said, glancing back at him. "Widow doesn't like narcissists."

There was a sudden glimmer of fear in Adrian's eyes. What followed was a forced and extremely nervous laugh as he thought over the last time she was pissed. The bruise on his jaw was still hurting, like... a lot.

                  As the TV flicked to sudden BREAKING NEWS, Adrian and Marley pulled away from each other with their individual gazes landing over the footage. Recorded in the police department, Captain Locke was stood at the front of the pack waving around a diary and claiming it to belong to the out of control tyrant known as Peacemaker.

                "Uh, do you want to maybe go get Peacemaker?" Marley murmured.

                "Yeah, right."

Seconds later, Chris came storming up the staircase, fists clenched by his side, his face red with anger. He turned directly to the TV, barely acknowledging Marley presence as what was left of his reputation was slandered and destroyed right before he eyes.

                 Captain Locke went on to explain with a blunt and chilling tone that sent a shudder down Marley's spine. He was painfully calm, speaking strong in front of the stuttering cameras and panicked journalists who struggle to write every significant piece of information down. "Among many items found in the search of Christopher Smith's home was a diary written by the suspect. Now the dirt maintains that the world is inhabited by aliens posing as human beings and it is the suspect's job to find and kill them."