2. Charade

🎶 Maa - Taare Zameen par 🎶

(A/n) :- video from Pinterest

Suddenly he dropped the boy on the floor, laughing as he saw him backing away and pressing himself more into the wall while he coughed violently.

"You really think I would let you get away from me that easily huh?", he asked amused, putting his palms on his knees staring at the boy who had his knees upto his chin looking down on the floor.

Flashback 

Gaurav Patil and Laxmi Patil had been married for nearly 10 years living in a 2 story house. After trying for years they gave up on having kids deciding to adopt instead but one night while walking back home from work Gaurav found a 2 year old lying in a pile of dirt near a Dustbin in their neighborhood. He took the baby with him and decided to raise him instead of informing about him to the police as he saw that was his only chance to have a child of his own.
Laxmi declined the idea saying they might get arrested for not telling the cops but Gaurav somehow convinced her.

They decided to name him Dev. After Dev came into their life it became a perfect family anybody could ever ask for. A father who has a job in the bank and a loving mother whose also a housewife.
Everything was going fine until Laxmi was diagnosed from heart cancer. Gaurav did everything he can to save his wife. He took loans from different banks, spending all his earnings to get her treatment done. But unfortunately she couldn't get a donar on time which caused her death. She died 2 years ago leaving behind her husband and her 6 year old boy. Gaurav was broken after her death. He couldn't stand the thought of living without her.

 All his assets were used to pay off his depts and he was fired from his job. He drowned himself in the depths of alcohol intoxication and gambling.  He then started abusing his son, cursing him for something he didn't have control over.

Dev took every abuse from his father thinking that he's responsible for everything that happened to his mother. He let his father take out his anger on him, not fighting back at all. Perhaps vit was the leftover clove he had for his father.

His mother, she loved him to an extent he could never explain. Someone who taught him how to read and write, who spoiler him by giving him chocolates and toys even if he would have enough to open a shop. Someone who would always tell him bed stories before sleeping. Who promised to stay with him forever.  

In the last moments of her life, she told him that he was the best thing that ever happened to her. That she would forever be grateful to have him in her life. She cried for being able to stay with him till the end. 

Flashback end

Gaurav went back to his full length looking down at Dev in disgust before walking back on the couch, pulling out another bottle of beer," Get out of my face, you worthless piece of shit and I want this house cleaned up by the time I come back home from work tomorrow".

Dev nodded timidly, wiping off his tears before getting up and picking up the leftover bread and running to room locking it.

Dev laid on the bed pulling the covers up to chin after eating the leftovers before turning off the lights.

He cried himself to sleep just like every other night wincing when he felt the pain on his stomach increasing after the abuse.

                              _____

Next morning Dev went to school wearing the same old school uniform he has been wearing for the past 2 years.

It was covered in dust as it was not washed for days.

He is quite smart for and 8 year old. He's known to be every teacher's favourite student. He didn't have friends at all. Maybe because of his clothes or maybe the fact the he's smart and every teacher's favourite, he didn't know and neither did he care. 

He liked spending time alone, minding his own business, But sometimes he just couldn't stop the loneliness he felt, whenever he wanted to talk to someone or needed a shoulder to cry. It was all too much for his little mind. He was exhausted and almost depressed bat the end of the day.

The days went by, the weekend ended and it was Monday again.

It was just like every other day. 

As the last class ended, he stood up to leave swinging his backpack around his  shoulder.

"Dev?", Called out a sweet female voice. He turned to see Ms. Farera, his Maths teacher walking towards him.

"Your parents haven't paid your school fees yet, it's been 3 months", she said and Dev's face turned pale and he quickly looked down in shame not being able to hold her gaze.

_______

A/n :- I know this chapter is a little emotional but trust me next chapter is worse ( in a good way  ofcourse)
Spoilers:- The good days of Dev starts from next chapter so be ready.
Don't forget to give a star and comment down about what you feel about this chapter. That makes my day

 That makes my day

______