Chapter 14 • almost crippled

Matt

When I opened my eyes it was dim, I looked around the room I was in and felt lost. I had no idea where I was. I tried to sit up but my stomach reared in pain.

"Ahhh." I moaned in pain.

Almost immediately lights flicked on. I covered my eyes quickly, which only resulted in more pain. When my eyes finally adjusted, they landed on a man in a white coat, a clipboard in his hands.

"Where am I?"

He chuckled softly, "The hospital boyo, took a couple too many Advil, but we got you all fixed up."

I shook my head. Out of no where my mom walked in.

My mom.

Eyes swollen and red, but ever so relieved, met mine and her warm embrace devoured me in a hug. "Matthew dear lord you had me worried to pieces, don't you ever scare me like that again!"

Nancy and Luke ran in and sang in chorus, "Matty!"

I smiled at them softly and my mom cried tears of happiness. She sat down beside me and laid her head on my shoulder, "I found out about Derek's 'mistress'."

I looked at her with wide eyes.

"What?"

She nodded, tearing up, "He said he made you promise not to tell me, Matty, is that why.." She started to tear up and chocked on her words, "is that why you did this?"

I shrugged, "It was a few reasons.. That was.. One."

She shook her head, bawling now, "Never keep something like that from me again. You always come first Matthew, always. I love you and you mean more than anything to me in the whole world, apart from your brother and sister. Please never scare me like that again. Please!"

I nodded as I held her sobbing body in my arms.

"I promise."

"You were in a coma, from all the.. The medicine. For a week! Oh gosh Matt, I was so horrified!"

In that instant, I remembered Grace, I remembered her fully, and what she said to me, what my dad said to me.

My dad. He was probably here right now. They gave me a reason to live, they gave me a reason to fight. I was so incredibly happy right now. I had my mom and siblings back, Derek was gone.

But what about Grace? Grace was a dream? I wished she wasn't. I wished she woke up in her hospital bed, but then again, I wished she hadn't. I would never wish cancer on her again. She was too sweet and beautiful and real.

So real. She had to be real!

I sat up again, grunting at the pain, "When can I leave this dang place?"

My mom bit at her lip, "Matt.. There's one more thing I have to tell you.."

I searched her eyes as she spoke, "When we brought you in there were complications, things I can't really understand or dare to explain.. But your legs Matty.. They aren't gonna work like they used to.. We're gonna go through physical therapy, anything to try and get it back to normal.. Bu-"

I shook my head interrupting her, "No!"

"Mat-"

"How long?"

She cringed, "A year.. Maybe two? I don't know Matthew, it depends on your recovery."

I felt tears in my eyes.

"Mom.. I'm so sorry."

She half smiled, "Sweetie, you have nothing to be sorry for, all that matters is that I love you and that you're here right now, breathing."

I nodded, tears running down my cheeks, "I'm alive."

I wanted to be alive, but it seemed unfair for me to be living again, and for Grace to be alone.

Grace was real.

Grace existed.

She was the reason I'm here, she was the fight and the motivation that gave me a chance to change my fate.

Grace is my savior.

She is my one true love and good god if she isn't real then I am in love with a dream.

I'm alive.

I'm alive.

I'm alive.

This is my second chance at life, and this time, I'm not going to waste it.