Chapter 6 • almost jealous

Matthew

Grace and I had remade the bed and adjusted everything to the way it was before we'd gotten there. Gosh I'd love to see that security camera footage. We left the store before it opened because only god knows what we could have started if we hadn't.

We hadn't spoken much about the whole crying thing. It was like we both knew we didn't want to talk about it, but trusted each other enough to share even the tiniest secret. Maybe Grace hadn't completely opened the door to let me in, she hadn't let her walls down, but she had offered me a window into her life, and that was more than enough.

In a way it made me happier knowing someone had placed their trust in me; even if it was only a little bit. And it was the teeniest tiniest bit. I could tell she too was careful with her trust, and I knew she probably had proper reasoning. Then again, my trust was rarely given. So, I concluded that Grace and I were one in the same, but I only had a window. Only time could piece together the puzzle that was Grace Manning. I planned to stick around.

I watched my feet trail one in front of the other, creating a soft sound on the pavement. My nike's appeared old but their black fabric still matched nicely with my navy blue shirt. My horrid, navy blue shirt. The last time I had worn it was the day I had found out about my dad, and had forbidden myself to wear it since.

It was my unlucky shirt.

It was my least favorite shirt.

It reminded me of all things awful in the world, and I would've done anything to get it off me. But now, all alone in the world, except for Grace, it was the only thing I had left of the only person who I could ever fully trust. The once formidable shirt was now my only treasure, and I was never letting it go. I looked down at rest of the clothes I was wearing and wondered why of all the clothes god could have put me in, he chose these. Worn out shoes. Worn out pants. Worn out jacket. Maybe to symbolize a worn out life? For only a second the thought grazed my mind that maybe, just maybe, the clothes were there to show me how things can be seen in different perspectives. I would have never held so tight to my shirt a year ago, but for some reason today the shirt meant the world to me. How had things changed so fast?

I fiddled my thumbs as the thought crossed my mind that I would basically be wearing these clothes for the rest of eternity unless I found a ghost target, which I'm sure doesn't exist.

My eyes gazed up to the sidewalk in front of me and watched people walk by me, completely unaware of my existence. I would watch their eyes staring straight ahead, and wonder what they were thinking. Much to my surprise, I found someone staring back. I stopped and Grace did too,

"Why are we-?"

The boy cut her off, "Well hello!"

He looked about our age, maybe a year or two older. His muscles were defined, and much to my dismay, Grace noticed this too.

Wait.

I don't care what Grace thinks of this guy, she's just my friend.. My ghost friend.

"I can't believe you guys can see me. I've been walking for what seems like ages." He was speaking in a friendly voice towards the both of us, but I could tell by the hungry look in his eyes, he was more interested in Grace.

Before I could speak he interjected again, "And you are?"

"I'm Matt and that's Grace."

His eyes bore holes in mine as he glared sternly, "I think the lady can introduce herself."

I bit my lip to keep myself from overreacting, but before I could fire back I heard Grace's peaceful voice and my muscles relaxed. I had no idea why the anger had overwhelmed me so quickly. Maybe it was because Grace was the only person I had, and I wasn't going to leave her. I had half the mind to think that'd totally corrupt her in her fragile state. But maybe it was the fact that she could leave me whenever she pleased, she was under no means tied down to me. Maybe it's because it'd corrupt me just as bad as it would her. And I don't think it'd be the first time it's happened to either of us. As sad as that sounds.