Chapter 15 • together at last

*1 year later*

Grace

I walked down the familiar path, the landscape around me consuming me in its beauty. The wind blew my short pixie hair around but it felt nice on my skin. Joggers and bikers around me sped by, smiling at me, me returning the act. Never once had I realized how a simple acknowledgement could mean so much. I smiled to myself, this walk had become a routine for me. Ever since I was released from the hospital, 100% cancer free might I add, I set out to staying healthy, walking was part of that, and this place was somewhat.. Sentimental to me.

I recognized the old bench ahead and when I reached it, I fell down into it, smirking to myself when the same old noises escaped it. I looked off to the lake and studied the view. The trees reflected in the lake like they had the first time I had seen it.

The memory flashed through my mind of that week I'd spent as a ghost; of the ghost I'd spent it with. I'd like to say it was love at first sight, but whatever it was, it changed me forever. I looked at my watch and sighed as I stood up to head home.

As I got up, I bumped into someone and I lost my balance, falling onto the ground. I dusted off my palms and blew the hair out of my face, immediately apologizing to whoever I had ran into. I heard their apologies like echoes of mine and when I looked up I saw a hand extended to help me. I grabbed it and easily pulled myself up. It was at that moment I looked the boy in the face and my heart nearly stopped.

I looked at him. He looked at me.

"Matthew?"

"Grace?"

I smiled bigger than I ever had and fell into his arms. I hugged him tighter than I had hugged anyone before and his arms tightly clasped my body to his in the same passion.

"It was real." I pulled away.

"You're real!" He smiled, I smiled.

Then Matt looked at me, his eyes deep and happy, he looked handsome, he looked happy, "Grace, I thought I had lost you forever. I was beginning to think you were just a dream.. But your.. Your cancer."

"Oh my gosh.. It was a miracle Matt! It was, I, I beat it! I made my way through it.. And you.. You never told me how you-"

He interrupted me, "I, yeah, that may be a story for another time."

He smiled and I felt shock race through my veins. I'd be lying if I didn't feel on top of the world.

"What happened?"

"My mom, she found out my stepdad, Derek, was cheating.. They divorced, blah blah. Grace. You're real."

I smiled and he smiled, "And you're so beautiful." I felt a blush creep into my cheeks, but he barely gave me time to thank him before he started talking again, "Grace. There's something I wanted to tell you but, the whole living situation, it stopped me."

I nodded for him to continue, "My dad, he was there in my room, he told me that I hadn't much time, that I had closure and it would be over, which I'm assuming was this. But he told me that we were put together for a reason. And I think it's love. I love you Grace, you saved my life, and I don't want to spend my real second chance at it with anybody else."

I was shocked with his bluntness, but I smiled widely.

"I agree.."

He looked at me, half shocked, half scared, "What?"

I smiled boldly, happier than I had ever been in my life, and leaned over, planting my lips firmly on his. He responded quickly, kissing me back sweetly and smoothly. Pulling away I smiled uncontrollably.

"You want to maybe come home with me? Meet my parents.. For real this time."

He smiled and I smiled. Taking my hand he nodded his head and I lead him in the direction of my car. As we were walking the long path, the sun was lowering down past the horizon and I remembered a single unanswered question.

"Matt, what was more beautiful than the sunset? you never told me?"

He smiled sheepishly at me and looked that the blazing sun, "You. You are far more beautiful than any sunset I've ever seen."

I smiled, blushed and looked away all at once, but squeezed his hand in mine.

"I love you Matthew."

He smiled and pecked my cheek lightly, "I love you too Grace."

And as we got into my car he added, "So I'm guessing this means my dad was right?"

I smirked, "I guess it does."