CHAPTER 3

Caroline wakes up. For a moment, she remembers nothing, neither the pain of yesterday nor the confusion. Slowly though, it all starts coming back.

she hears a knock on the door. "Come in," she says already aware of the identities of the persons.

Bonnie and Katherine walk in . "Hey," they say in unison. They share a quick glance then they cautiously advance forward, as though approaching a wild animal or a baby holding a loaded gun. They then proceed to sit at the edge of her bed.

"Caroline," Bonnie hesitantly says

"Huh?"

"Where were you yesterday?"

There is a brief pause. For a moment Caroline looks confused then,"I was with Klaus ," she says, then there is another pause. "Then after that it's blurry i... i do not remember"

"Sweety, are you sure you are okay?" Katherine asks genuinely worried about her best friend.

"I'm fi-  wait, Klaus is dying today," says Caroline, looking like a lost child.

Bonnie and Katherine look at each other then at her.

"So are you attending the umm " says Bonnie, "i've never been a fan of the guy but i know he'd appreciate it if you went. He deserves your presence there, okay maybe not, but that's not the point," she takes a deep breath then continues,"My point is, i think you should come with us, i mean join us. I think you should join us"

Both Caroline and Katherine look at Bonnie like she's grown a second head, then they burst out laughing. "Yeah Caroline, please do come with us, " adds a laughing Katherine earning a slap on the arm by Bonnie. "I get the point," says Caroline as she laughs a bit more. When the laughter dies down the two girls exit the room leaving Caroline with her thoughts and the task of getting ready.

After all of them are ready, they make their way to Klaus' home, the apparent venue of the death.

...

As soon as Niklaus exits the house, his eyes start searching for her, his last love, ironically.

"Brother," drawls Elijah, "Whom do you seek?" he continues , relishing in his brother's  obvious discomfort. Niklaus just glares at him then makes his way to Bonnie who is conversing with Kol.

"I didn't think you cared enough to actually show," says Niklaus, smirking in Bonnie's direction.

"Well, if Caroline could see some good in you of all people, then anything is possible right?" Counters Bonnie with a matching smirk of her own.

"Touché," he says, this time with a smile on his face at the thought of the blond."Now onto more pressing matters, where is Caroline?"

"The pretty little blond has started running and hiding from you again brother?Even on your death day? Now isn't that just sad" says Kol as he lets out a hollow laugh. As he is about to respond, Niklaus spots Caroline sitting on one of the garden chairs, a bottle of bourbon by her feet with a glass of it in her hand. He finds his feet making their way there and he makes  no move to stop them.

"And where is my glass, love?" says Niklaus as he takes a sit on the chair next to hers,"You know, bourbon was  always our thing"

She looks up and smiles, handing him a glass. "Bourbon is my thing, not ours"

"You wound me love," he says holding his hand over the left side of his chest.

"Oooops," she says with a smile

They talk for a bit more then the witches who are to perform the spell make it known to everyone that they are ready. Niklaus makes his way to where they stand. The older witch informs Niklaus about the need to draw his blood and warns him about the pain that it is likely to cause. When he gives his consent, the youngest looking witch with the red hair steps forward, takes a knife from the witches' table, chants then asks him for his hand which he offers with no resistance.