CHAPTER 4

Back in Niklaus' room...

Caroline continues sobbing, craddling her bloody hands to her chest. "You said I'm Caroline?" she asks between sobs.

"Yes sweety," Katherine says tears rolling down her own cheeks.

"Why can't i remember? Why does it hurt?" she asks again, whilst grasping the sheets leaving blood stains. "I only remember you, Bonnie, Hope. Why don't i rememb- wait, Klaus . Where is Klaus?" she continues, as she gets off the bed.

"Why do i feel so angry.. and soo sad?" She asks, back to sobbing. "Please make it stop," she continues.

Bonnie just helplessly looks at her,"I'm so sorry Care, the most i can do is make you fall asleep. The pain will stop, I promise." she says.

"No, i have to find him," Caroline says. With that she vamp speeds out of the room with no specific location in mind, being led by her instinct to find him.

"She is robbing me of my daughter, she has no right to complain!" is what she hears as soon as she gets close enough to him. She doesn't know how she knows, but she knows that it is directed to her. She doesn't understand how or why but she can feel the anger towards her.

"What did i do?" she manages to ask in a small voice whilst chocking on the ball urging the water works to begin again.

"If it wasn't for you, Hope would have been saved by now!" Niklaus yells. She visibly flinches, then he feels it. He feels her pain and her confusion. He looks down and wills himself to calm down, just a bit. "Caroline, i-" he says, just before she runs off. He just stares after her, unable to find the courage to run after her. What would he say to her anyways?

Upon reaching the outside of Niklaus' family home, Caroline rests her back against a wall, closes her eyes and lets the water works begin.

"Caroline," someone says, causing her to raise her head, only to see Hope standing in front of her.

Looking vulnerable,"I don't understand,"Caroline whispers. Hopes steps forward and embraces her. They remain in that position then after a while Hope breaks the hug and explains the events of the day to Caroline.

"So now as i was saying, if nothing is done I'll eventually die" continues Hope

"You said my life is now linked to Klaus' life" Caroline asks and Hope nods her head in response."So that means the ritual can't be performed ?" asks Caroline

"Exactly," says Hope. Caroline is about to say something when Hope cuts in. "I won't let two people i care about die for me" she says. Caroline is about to speak again when Hope cuts in, again. "Do not rob me of my choice, it's all i have" sternly says Hope.

"I can't do that to him, to them," says Caroline whilst shaking her head.

"If not for me, then do it because it is the right thing to do," says Hope with tears dampening her cheeks.

"There has to be another way Hope," Caroline tries to reason.

"What would you do if you were in my shoes Caroline, having the means to save your loved ones" says Hope,"Wouldn't you take the chance instead of then living your life with their deaths hanging over your head, the guilt eating you inside out"

"Caroline, please promise me that you will do it" says Hope, desperation evident in her tone.\

"What can i do?" Caroline asks

"If i tell you there is no turning back," says Hope

"Okay," breathes Caroline. Hope hugs her.

"Get the two witches outside. I'll do the rest. After that deliver the letters in my drawer to the recipients." says Hope as she hands Caroline the key to her drawer.

Caroline looks at the key, at Hope then she nods her head tears rolling down her cheeks. "Okay," breathes Caroline with a rueful smile on her lips. She goes on to hug Hope.

"Do you believe there is a life after this?" asks Hope, still hugging Caroline

"Yes, "Caroline says" I don't believe that when we die we just blink out of existence, I hope you find peace Hope," continues Caroline ,"Pun intended, " she adds making Hope laugh.

"Thank you," Hope whispers.

After that Caroline goes inside and gets the witches like she promised the heads back inside.

...

Upon hearing Hope's scream, they (Niklaus,Elijah, Rebecca, Kol, Marcel, Bonnie,Katherine and Caroline)head to the backdoor with the intention of going to the backyard to check on Hope. They realize that they can't exit owing to an invisible barrier.

"She trapped us inside," says Kol through gritted teeth

"I'm pretty sure she bound the spell to the moon so we can't exactly do anything about this until sunrise," adds Bonnie

"What exactly is she up to out there," Rebecca asks no one in particular, worry sipping through

Caroline panicks, sadness and fear washing over her. Upon feeling what she is feeling, Niklaus turns to face her. "What did you do?" Niklaus asks in a dangerously low and calm voice.

"Caroline if anything happens to my daughter i- "then a piercing scream from outside shuts him up.

"I can't feel it," suddenly whispers Bonnie

"Feel what?" adds Rebecca.

"The magic. Hope's magic, i can't feel it anymore. Try going outside" she says

Niklaus tries and is successful. "What does this mean?" he asks, tears in his eyes.

"She might have ," starts Bonnie,"I'm sorry " she adds

"No," says Niklaus as he vamp speeds to the site where the sacrifice was supposed to take place. He finds his daughter's body, rather her corpse lying in the middle of a circle. He stands there, frozen in place. Everyone follows and the sight leaves them in tears.

Elijah walks over to the two witches and realizes that they have been compelled."This was Hope's choice," they continuously chant the same line. They then suddenly fall maybe due to Elijah holding their hearts in his hands.

Caroline vamp speeds to Hope's letters. When she exits the house all eyes are on her.

"Klaus i-"

"Leave!" he yells and she visibly flinches.