【8】

Chapter 8 - The Black Rose Part 1

Marinette did find a way to leave, although it wasn't the most exhilarating victory. In general, an akuma alert was not a very thrilling experience to go through. After four years of akuma attacks happening at least every three days, Paris had more or less been accustomed to the possibility of having a super villain plow through their office cubicle in the middle of the day. Although that was true, it didn't mean that the citizens were particularly excited about the event.

Groaning as she looked down at her phone, Marinette got up with a meaningful look in her eyes as she glanced at Alya. The latter nodded understandingly, and looked down at her own phone.

"Well, that's a bit concerning," Alya said, eyebrows furrowed, "The akuma's name is False Song and their power is freezing people and putting them in 'exhibitions' with little plaques that tell about their life."

"What on earth?" she breathed, bending over the table to look at the phone.

The akuma was more on the dangerous side, Marinette decided after that summary, especially with the whole secret identity part of being a superhero. She's not entirely sure if they'd fit the entirety of her life into a small plaque but if it was a summary it'd probably include the superhero part. Either way she wasn't exactly jumping for joy at the prospect.

"Do we have any idea what the exhibitions look like?" she asked discreetly, standing next to her.
"They're like little glass boxes I guess." Alya told her, playing a live streamed video that showed what exactly was going on in the 1st arrondissement.

Both girls lean forward towards the screen, a serious face crossing their faces. The Akuma Alert had just come on but False Song had messed up the area pretty quickly. Depending on which people got put into exhibitions the press would have a field day. Marinette's eyebrows furrowed. She had to get there quickly.

The akuma itself didn't have a very defined gender which was common but they were also rather pretty which was a rare thing to happen seeing as Hawkmoth had to be Paris' worst Fashion Designer. Perhaps he had gotten inspired by someone with a fashion sense.

The outfit was very simple - something Hawkmoth had a habit of rejecting completely when it came to akuma designs - a wrinkled cream coloured dress shirt tucked into brown slacks, shirt light blonde hair and glowing white eyes. Moving more graceful and charming than any akuma she had seen, they looked only slightly curious about what the lives the people they caught were like.

Marinette couldn't figure out what their motive was as they sat on a lamp post casually, their legs dangling over the edge as they pointed their finger at some important looking people escaping the buildings, a beam of energy shooting out of it and sending an electric current through the victim's body and to really top off the surprisingly impressive show Hawkmoth had managed to create, a glass case seemed to build up from the ground until finally it had encased the unlucky businessman that had been zapped.

The camera wasn't close enough to make out the words but either way, Marinette promptly decided that she had to get there before things got worse. Or if the akuma got angry.

She sent an apologetic glance at Alya because of another missed hangout but Alya, being the lovely friend she was, simply smiled knowingly. Marinette nodded and patted her friend's shoulder before sprinting out the door. Over the years the two had formed some sort of telepathic communication method utilizing their eyes that had proven fairly handy since she revealed her identity to her when she was 15.

The 1st arrondissement isn't too far from the café they had been eating at so, suited up, Ladybug had made it there in about five minutes. Bounding across rooftops, the wind whistling through her raven hair, Marinette felt the slight exhilaration and nervousness that had still, even after years of being a superhero, managed to make its way into her chest. The feeling that came right before a battle.