【10】

She wants to forget what happened last week. Marinette wasn't entirely sure she could function for the first few days but she didn't have to wonder. Her parents didn't let her get a fork by herself. She was accompanied everywhere. And yes, she was flattered about how much they cared but she wanted to be alone.

Marinette supposes that it would take her mind off of everything for a while.

Then she goes back to school and everything she's repressed into the back of her mind comes back full force and she's this close to becoming the same mess that she was in the hospital. She avoids everyone for the day. Her teachers don't bother to call on her which makes it easier for her.

It's the end of the day. She thinks she's doing well enough but she's wrong. Because Adrien's looking at her. And it's the look. It's Chat Noir's look. And she realizes that she can't love him anymore. She can never have him.

"Marinette?" he asks softly, eyebrows titling in concern.

She runs.

Sprinting down the halls, her chest heaving with every step. Marinette's sure she'll die before she makes it. Her heart hurts, her legs hurt, her head hurts. She just wants everything to go away.

"Marinette?" Adrien calls after her but she doesn't want to see him. She doesn't want to face him; she isn't strong enough for that.

Marinette turns the corner, pushing open the front doors which are two tons heavier than normal. Her right foot trips on the ledge and she falls, crashing down onto the hard pavement.

"Ow, ow, ow, fuck!" her voice breaks as she pulls her bleeding knees to her chest. It's raining, the sky is gloomy, she's crying and nothing - nothing- is going right.

The door behind her opens. "Hey."

"Hi." Came her defeated response.

Adrien crouches beside her with an appropriate space between the two of them and looks out at the dark scene, his umbrella sits beside them and it reminds her of when she first fell in love with him. The same place but infinitely different. It was weird how different the 13 year old and 17 year old version of herself were.

"Marinette, I don't know why you're avoiding me but-"

"I'm sorry," she says but it comes out more like a sob. Adrien's brows furrow in concern and he reaches his hand out but retracts it just as quickly.

"Why are you apologizing, Mari?" he whispers, "You don't have to. I was just... Well, you looked upset. Do you want to... talk about it?"

Marinette turns her head to the side and her eyes meet with Adrien's. After a moment of silence she sighs. "Have you ever met someone that's like, literally the best person ever?"

His head tilts to the side, "Yeah. I know someone exactly like that."

Marinette wonders who he's thinking of for a moment but moves on just as quickly. "Well, this guy - he's so fucking awesome. And he's so nice and caring and just..." she lets out a breath, "He's in love with me and that's cool and I'm flattered! But I don't like him back. Or at least I think I don't like him back. It's weird, you know?"

Marinette leans back and her eyes focus on the rain pattering against the floor. "I'm used to seeing him as a funny friend I got and not someone I like like but then something changed and I don't even know what it was but suddenly he's this funny, caring, nice, hot loveable guy and then guess what? He knows this other guy that I've been in love with since I don't know, forever!"

Adrien nods along thoughtfully, his eyes completely trained on Marinette.

"So he's like I'm doing a favor for him and then he's like 'he's in love with you' and then I'm just like, screaming because I've loved this guy since I met him and-" she exhales and buries her head in her knees. "Everything's so weird. He told me that he'd help me by having practice dates and then we go on a date and he's, out of nowhere, so good at flirting. And we talk and it's nice but I'm just like - this feels so good? But I can't fall in love with him because then the world will end. Literally."