Chapter 2

All Sophie could think during her first kiss was "Is this really happening?" Fitz's soft lips were pressed against her's and his arms were wrapped around her waist as he kissed her, which she enthusiastically returned. After a moment, the two broke apart, gasping. The first one to break the deafening silence was surprisingly Mr. Forkle.

    "While you kids go figure this out, I have a few Black Swan members to go talk to," he cleared his throat. "I'll leave you alone for now, but I want this resolved when I come back." With that, he left the room, leaving the two elves alone.

    "Um," started Fitz. "That was... Interesting."

    "Yeah," muttered Sophie.

    Fitz fiddled with his fingers, "I don't know how to say this, so I'm going to say it right out. Sophie, I really like you, but I never thought you felt the same way. Will you go out with me?"

    Sophie smiled, elated. She opened her mouth to say yes, but suddenly a thought hit her.

    "Do you think the reason Mr. Forkle was afraid that we were in love was because a relationship could cause trust issues?"

    "How so?" asked Fitz.

    "Well," started Sophie. "When people date in the human world, they usually end up breaking up. And then they completely avoid each other and hate each other and can't even talk to each other," she was exaggerating a bit now, but it was mostly the truth. "So if the same, um situation, happened to us, that could cause problems with our telepathy."

    Fitz hesitated for a moment. After much thought he replied, "Sophie. I really, really like you. You're different from other elves I've met, but in a good way. But, if you think a relationship between us would put your safety into question, I won't press that upon you. I would do anything to keep you safe, even if it means tucking away my feelings for a while.

    "Besides," he added, "I don't really think we're old enough for a relationship anyway."

    Sophie laughed and hugged him. "Thanks for understanding."

    Fitz hugged her back and pulled away after a few moments.

    "But what about the whole telepathy thing? Are you okay with me seeing your memories?" he asked.

    Sophie shrugged her shoulders, "I guess... I mean what do I have to hide now?"

    Fitz laughed, "Okay. I think we should go and tell Mr. Forkle."