Chapter 1

Hunter had just brushed his hair and gotten into his cloak to see the emperor, his uncle, and was about to leave when Rascal had decided to tug on his hair and try to stop him from leaving. He was probably right in trying to keep him here, as all that would come out of this meeting would be a few new scars and lowered self esteem.

"I need to go, Rascal. He'll be even more angry if I don't turn up."

Rascal tweeted one more time, then gave in and hopped down onto the floor.

"Thank you. Now, please hide, I can't let you get found. You know what Belos would do to you if he gets his hands on you."

Rascal hopped under his bead, nestling in between the mess of books.

After making sure Rascal was hidden from view, Hunter put on his mask and walked to the throne room.

As soon as he entered the room, Hunter knew he was in trouble. There was certain sense of anger in the air that was hard to miss. He knelt before Belos' throne, glad he had his mask to hide his face. He looked so obviously nervous.

"Hunter. Something has recently been brought to my attention." Said Belos softly.

Too softly.

"But before we continue, is there anything you'd like to tell me, Hunter?"

Hunter stiffened.

He couldn't know about Rascal...could he?

"No, uncle. Nothing at all." He said, slightly shaking.

Belos shook his head.

"Pity. Why must you lie to me, Hunter?"

Behind him, the doors opened and in walked Kikimora, and in her hand was-

Shit.

In her hand was the small red shape of Rascal, writhing around and trying to escape.

"Hello, my liege. I have the bird. I found it hiding under Hunters bed." Kikimora said with obvious delight.

She walked over to Belos and handed him the palisman.

Hunter held his breath.

"Curious. I thought you didn't have anything to hide. Unless he's not yours?" crooned Belos with mock sympathy.

He knew he should say something. He should argue that it wasn't his, that he didn't have a palisman. Or he could grab Rascal and run...but that wouldn't end well.

He should really do something.

But no.

Belos was preparing to snap Rascal in two and was waiting for Hunter to respond.

"Well, Hunter? Is he yours?"

Hunter took off his mask and looked Belos in the eye.

"Put him down." Hunter growled.

Stupid, stupid!

he was dead now.

"I assume that's a yes."

Suddenly, tendrils of green-black goop were shooting from Belos' body, picking up hunter and slamming him into the wall, breaking a few ribs in the process.

"I raised you, I cared for you when no one else did, I gave you status, I gave you magic, and this is how you repay me?" screeched belos, coming closer to Hunter.

The tendrils became sharp, cutting into Hunter's torso and arms, tearing his shirt, and making him shriek.

Hunter couldn't speak. He couldn't find the words, the way to say I'm sorry that would make Belos forgive him.

Tears were streaming down his face, blurring his vision, as he tried to push Belos away.

Suddenly there was a flash of bright red and Belos was shoved back, leaving Hunter to fall to the ground. Rascal was in Hunters arms, urging him to stand up. And then Rascal turned into a staff, and Hunter struggled to lift himself up and get on.

He was slowly losing conciseness, and before he was gone, he heard Kikimora screaming, guards running, and wind rushing.

He saw hallways rush by, stars twinkling above, and trees coming towards him.

Then everything went dark.