Chapter 6

They arrived at the cozy cafe, a small space with warm lighting and sofas everywhere. There were flowers hanging in the window and the smell of coffee in the air. They sat down near the back of the cafe and ordered food and coffee.

While they were waiting, they chatted about that morning's encounter with Luz and Amity, about wild magic, about Hexside.

"I've been meaning to ask why you're wearing a hoodie. It's so hot i think I'll MELT. And i realise I've never seen you in anything other than a jumper. I just want to know if... if you're OK." Asked Edric suddenly.

Hunter thought one day that question would come.

He knew he would one day have to answer.

It bothers him way too much to keep it to himself, to stay up at night thinking about all the things that caused his scars- both physical and emotional.

He needed to tell someone.

Why not Ed?

There wasn't anyone else in the cafe- even the person at the counter had gone to a back room.

So he did.

And by the end he had started crying, and then he was in Edric's arms, and he was safe, all of his memories faded away, he was OK, he was happy.

The food had come and by now gotten cold, but they didn't care.

They sat there, both of them happy, both of them content.

Finally, Hunter sat up and wiped his tears.

They ate in comfortable silence, then walked the long way back to the Owl House. It was only when they arrived that Hunter realised they had started holding hands.

A thought started emerging in the back of his mind.

He thought about his friendship with Edric.

Surely everyone had someone who made you feel safe with when no one else could, who you always wanted to be around, who you always thought of.

But it was more than that.

He couldn't describe how he felt about Ed, but he was sure it was a normal feeling to have about a friend. He didn't have much experience with friends, so who knows?

Before he knew it, they were back at the owl house, and Emira had come down to tell Edric that they needed to go home, Odalia had asked them back again, and all too soon Ed was all packed and standing at the door, hugging Hunter goodbye. All too soon the one person in Hunter's life who he had loved- platonically, right?- was gone, and he was alone.

He went back to his room, declining Luz's offer of walking into Bonesborough. Flapjack flew around him when he walked into his room and sat down against the wall.

He started crying despite himself.

Flapjack started nuzzling his cheek, and Hunter held him closer.

Maybe he did feel something more about Ed...

////

A few days had passed when Hunter received news that Amity, Edric and Emira will be staying over for a a month or two whilst their parents went on a work trip.

He tried to hide his excitement, but he was smiling all throughout the day they were supposed to arrive.

Finally, in the afternoon when he was reading, Hunter heard a knock at the door and jumped up, leaving his book forgotten on the coffee table, and swung open the door.

"GOLDIE!" Exclaimed Edric, dumping his bags in the doorway and throwing his arms around the shorter boy, then resting his chin on Hunter's head.

"I miiiiiiiiiised yoooooouuuuuuu!"

Hunter blushed and hugged him back.

"I missed you too." He said quietly.

Emira shoved her way past Edric and started making her way upstairs.

"I'll leave you two lovebirds alone." She said with a smirk, then ran up the stairs.

Amity came in shortly after, an abomination carrying her luggage trailing after her.

She winked at Hunter as she walked by, then went off to find Luz.

Hunter pushed off Edric and led him to the couch.

"Look. Ed. I- um. I want t-to tell you something. Something I recently realised and have never- never felt. Before."

Edric grinned and took Hunter's hand.

"Goldie- Hunter. I think I know what you're gonna say. And, ah, I feel the same way."

Both of them were blushing like crazy at this point.

Hunter felt that this might be one of- no, this was the best thing to ever happen to him.

Edric leaned forward, slowly, then stopped. He looked Hunter in the eye, and when he saw the other nod, leaned in to kiss him.

Hunter felt as though fireworks were going off in his stomach.

Him! Kissing a boy! Edric of all boys!

He wrapped his arms around Edric, then pulled his lips from Ed's and smiled, burying his head in the tall boy's chest.

They stayed there for a while until they heard people walk into the room. Edric could sense Hunter wanting to pull apart from him, so he let him go and quickly picked up a book and pretended to read it.

Eda came in and smirked. Both the boys started blushing even more.

"Look, kid, it's no use hiding it." she pointed at Edric. "THIS one's reading a book upside down."

Edric blushed while Hunter laughed.

Eda walked over and leaned on Hunter's shoulder.

"Hey, I was sixteen once too. I understand that ya need a good ol' smooch."

Hunter laughed and waved her off.

"Ew, Eda, please!"

She shrugged and walked out the door.

"OK, I'll leave ya in peace."

Edric put his book down and looked at Hunter.

"So. I think I read the room right, but do you wanna-"

Hunter laughed. He hasn't laughed this much for ages.

"Yes! I want to go out with you, Ed."

Edric fake gasped, putting a hand to his heart.

"So direct! I was gonna ask if you wanna play a prank on Luz and Amity, but that works too."

Hunter stood up and offered his hand to Edric.

"Yes to that too."

Edric took his hand, and together they walked upstairs.