Chapter 2

When Hunter woke up, the sun was high in the sky and he felt fine.

And then the pain came.

"Oooooh, what the fuck did he do to me?" Groaned Hunter.

Everything hurt, and he realised how many new cuts he had gotten.

He was suspended in tree branches, with sticks poking into his open wounds. Rascal was out of his staff form and was lying on Hunters chest.

He tried to sit up, waking up Rascal who flew to the ground, and realised a split second before he fell that you can't sit up when you're lying on thin, weak tree branches ten feet in the air.

He hit the ground with a dull thud, and heard voices and footsteps coming towards him.

"Oh shit!" He tried to stand up but the pain came washing over him like a tidal wave, so he just lay there with Rascal pulling his hair, asking the titan that the people talking wouldn't come near him.

He strained to hear what they were saying.

"...that's why hooty loves bugs!" Exclaimed the voice of the human, Luz.

Shit shit shit.

That couldn't see him here. They couldn't see him like this.

He tried so sit up as quietly as he could, but couldn't help letting out a small gasp as a sharp stab of pain shot through his chest.

Silence.

"Did you hear that?" Said the hushed voice of the youngest Blight.

He heard muffled footsteps and the crunching of sticks.

"I think it came from over here..."

Hunter tried to pull himself up by grabbing a branch, but he only snapped it, creating more noise.

All of a sudden, he was back on the ground and the Blight and the human were standing above him, looking down.

"...it's the golden guard." Whispered Luz.

Suddenly there was a razor sharp shard of abomination goop pushing against his neck.

"Don't move a muscle." Said the youngest Blight- Amity -as Luz took a good look at the bedraggled mess that was Hunter.

"Amity, he's hurt. We need to help him. Just look at him..."

Amity removed the threatening blade, and replaced it with ropes rapping around his waist.

He gasped at the pain that came from the pressure against his chest, pushing against bruises and broken ribs.

Tears pricked at his eyes and he fought to keep them back.

"Let go of me!" He shouted, trying to kick the girls away.

"Get your awful goop off of me!"

Luz took a good look at him and realised he was in pain.

"You're hurting him." She said, lightly tugging Amitys arm.

"How about...handcuffs? That way it won't affect his injuries."

Amity removed the ropes from his torso and replaced them with ropes around his wrist.

"There. But it wont do much in restraining him." She scoffed, pulling him up to a standing position.

"Ow ow ow." Moaned Hunter, trying not to let Amity see his face.

"Let's go to Eda. She could help him." Luz said, running ahead.

Hunter let himself get pulled ahead for a bit until he remembered Rascal.

"Wait!" He exclaimed, dragging his feet in the dirt to stop them.

"I...left something behind."

Luz looked around.

"Is it important? Can't we just get it later?"

Hunter looked away.

"No. I need it now. I can't leave him alone."

Luz smirked.

"Oooh, does the golden guard have a booooyfriend?" She mocked.

Hunter blushed, his whole face going a light shade of red.

"N-no. He's a bird. He's more like a pet." He said quietly.

Amity sighed, then started walking back to place they had found Hunter.

"Fine. But get him quickly, I don't want any coven guards finding us."

Hunter rushed ahead, back to the tree were he had woken up, and was panicking when he couldn't find Rascal.

Then he felt something plop down onto his head.

"There you are! I was worried." He exclaimed, picking him up off of his head and hugging him.

Luz caught up with them and saw the palisman.

"Oooh, lil rascal! What are you doing here?" She gasped. "OH! You're Hunter's palisman, right? But why him?"

She ran over to Hunter and tried to pat Rascal.

"Don't touch him!" Worried Hunter, quickly moving his arms away.

Luz looked startled.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to see him." She muttered.

"Come on, lets go to Eda." Amity said authoritatively.

She grabbed the ropes around Hunters wrists and pulled him ahead, causing Rascal to fly up and nestle in his hair.

He smiled, and suddenly felt a lot less worried with the small cardinal close to him.