The school bus

I was 14, sitting alone on the bus I never expected someone to share seats with me. He did. No questions asked, no weird looks passed. We didn't talk right away, but it made me happy. He sat beside me again, this time we talked. Turns out we were in the same class, funny how I missed that.

Days passed and we talked more, I felt comfortable and I felt welcome.

I was 15, sad our classes got changed. Who even needs shuffling of classes right ? Stupid school rules.

Bus. I still had the bus right ? Not so stupid school.

But ig the bus wasn't enough, stupid teenage hormones eh ? Butterflies, smiles and laughs. Everything. Talking with him never felt like an effort. It was something that carried itself once we began, most of it was me ranting and him silently listening to me as if I was talking about the most important world politics. He'd laugh at the right times, he was listening.

I was 16.

He came to my birthday party, huge step for the humanity. By this point I knew what I was feeling, but too scared to speak I shut up. Watching him happy was what kept me going. He needed a friend, I was the friend.

I was 17.

We lost touch. I didn't see him more than twice in a month, on the bus. Sitting at the back, I was over my feelings. Or was I ? I'd never know.

I am almost 18.

We talked again and this time it was something that had never happened. He was right here the whole time, and I missed it. Just like I did whrn I was 14.

He had been my yellow for 4 years. And I missed it. Just like that.