Ma

[ Tribute to the one I lost, I love you forever. I hope the stars treat you well ma. See you soon. ]

Jumping up and down, my hands raised in the air for you to lift me up and fly me to the moon. My smile ever present as you fly me to the moon with your stories and your pretty smile. Bouts of laughter, joyous screams bounce of the white walls and the pitter patter of feet against the linoleum floor thump against my chest like my steady heartbeat.

The kitchen sits empty and unattended. The rooms sullen and pale due to your departure. I sit in the corner, my hands moving swiftly against the window sill as I await your arrival. I wait, for you to walk in, poke me about spending my day idly in my room but you don't come.

Maybe you're busy out in the garden. My heavy footsteps make their way out to the damp grassy lawn, eyes flicking around each potted plant and blooming flowers. Something isn't right, they seem dull. The petals wrinkling even before blooming, I open my mouth to report my sudden discovery but my voice sounds more like a distant echo as I wait for your frantic steps to come out and dread the misery of your flowers.

But you don't come.

Its night time, my feet have scoured every corner of this perfectly built house that looks a lot shattered today. Every white painted wall looked yellow and chipped from pain and loss. The pain seeping in through the cracks, dampening the always clear walls.

I stop on front of the mirror, body swiveling around as I find myself looking in the mirror. There you stand, hand resting on my shoulders as you smile widely. I open my mouth to question, but you silence my words. I soak in the stardust named you, the moonlight filtering through the blinds providing me the calm your hugs did.

I slowly lower myself to the ground, my back pressed against yours as I look up to the sky. There you are, twinkling in the night, smile ever present as I raise my hands up, eyes close as I wait for you to lift me up and fly me to the moon.

I wait but you don't. Not this time. I turn around to ask why but all I see is the disappearing trail of stardust you left behind. The house quieter, the night winds howling as you depart from us.

The joyous laughter shall always remain in these walls who seemed to have brightened when the stardust merged with them.

"You always loved the stars ma" I whisper, hands clutching your scarf as I let the last of your lingering smell intoxicate my brain, slowly lulling to sleep with the thought of you.