03. Valiant (Part I)

DEVLIN'S STORE

Knight Valiant entered a shady shop and said, "I understand you have a shield for me."

The merchant, Devlin, motioned for him to come behind the counter.

"With your swordcraft and this shield, I guarantee you'll win," Devlin replied.

"Show me how it works."

"Certainly. Tharanai im bis entra ofra honra stolle.l The painted snakes on the shield came to life and slithered out of the shield. "When you're competing in the tournament, you pin your opponent under the shield, a snake strikes. Your opponent will be paralyzed." Devlin handed him the shield. "The snakes are now under your command. They'll do anything that you tell them to do."

"Anything?"

"Just say the word." They both laughed.

"Kill him."

A snake darted out from the shield and struck Devlin.

EXT. CAMELOT - DAY

Valiant rode for Camelot and placed his helmet and seal on the registration table before saying, "Knight Valiant of the Western Isles. I'm here for the tournament."

"Welcome to Camelot," the steward said.

EXT. CAMELOT CASTLE RAMPARTS - DAY

Arthur was training in his standard armour sans helmet. Merlin was wearing armour with a helmet and shield. Anne and Colette stood by because the princess wanted to watch her brother prepare and had ordered her handmaiden to join her.

"Ready?" Arthur asked.

"Would it make any difference if I said no?" Merlin replied.

"Not really."

Merlin drew his sword and Arthur attacked.

"Body. Shield. Body. Shield."

"Shield."

"Head."

"Head? Ow."

Colette winced and Anne had a small frown.

"Come on, Merlin. You're not even trying." He tagged Merlin in the back.

"Ow! I am."

"Once more."

"Oh, no."

"To the left. To the right. And left. Head."

"Ow!"

"Come on, Merlin! I've got a tournament to win."

"Can we stop now, please? Ow! Shield. Body."

"Shield."

"Shield. Ah." Arthur hit him on the head. "Ow." He toppled over backwards and his helmet rolled off.

"You're braver than you look. Most servants collapse after the first blow."

"Is it over?"

"That was just the warm up. How's your mace work coming along?" Arthur swung a mace over his head.

Merlin let out a sigh and glanced at his sister.

Colette stared back worriedly.

GAIUS' CHAMBERS

Merlin walked in, losing his armour as he entered, followed by Colette.

Gaius chuckled and asked, "So, how was your first day as Arthur and Anne's servants?"

Merlin tapped his head. "Do either of you hear clanging?" He sat at the table wearing his tunic. Gaius massaged Merlin's shoulders while Colette got him a cup of water. "Ah! It was horrible and I've still got to learn all about tournament etiquette by the morning. Onhríne achtung bregdan!"