22. The Labyrinth of Gedref (Part II)

EXT. LOWER TOWN – DAY

Gwen saw a man run past her in the Lower Town, the guards chasing him.

"Stop him!" guard one cried.

"Come back here!" guard two shouted.

"Stop that man!" guard three ordered. "He's been looting!"

Gwen looked over by the well and saw a drop of water on the spout. She went to it, put a bucket under the spout, and pushed the pump. Water gushed out.

INT. KING'S PALACE – ARTHUR'S CHAMBERS – DAY

Arthur and Merlin gulped down large mugs of water.

"Never knew water could taste so good," Arthur said.

"My throat was so dry, I thought I wouldn't be able to talk," Merlin stated.

"Well, at least some good would've come from the drought, then."

"More?"

Arthur motioned towards his mug and Merlin filled it. "The sand's disappeared. The water returned to the well. It doesn't make any sense. I suppose you or your sister have some explanation for this, Merlin? Let's hear it."

"Anhora said you would be tested. And last night, in the grain store, you let that villager go. And he said it would bring its own reward."

"He was merely grateful, and so he should have been."

"Maybe that was your first test. You passed it, so the curse has begun to lift. Perhaps this is your reward. I know you don't have to listen to me."

"Glad we agree on something."

"If you're tested again, you have a chance to end your people's suffering. I know you want that more than anything. Perhaps we should seek Anhora out."

"I cannot negotiate with sorcerers. My father wouldn't hear of it."

"Then it's probably best you don't tell him."

"I must go check on the guard. See if you can find me some food."

Merlin muttered, "Find some food!"

Merlin saw the rat climb out of Arthur's boot and uttered a spell.

EXT. KING'S PALACE – MAIN SQUARE – DAY

Even more people continued to queue outside the grain store. Morgana and Anne walked among them with Arthur.

"Who are they?" Morgana asked.

"They've come from the outlying villages in search of food," Arthur replied. "There's not enough rations to feed the people who are already here."

"You shouldn't blame yourself. I'm sure you're doing everything you can."

Anne shook her head. "It is not enough."

She and Arthur left and Gwen approached Morgana.

"Did you manage to find any food?" Gwen pulled a cloth back from her basket revealing some bread. "Where did you get that?"

"I was able to smuggle it out of the palace kitchens," Gwen replied.

"Share it out amongst the children and old people. Make it go as far as you can."

INT. KING'S PALACE – ARTHUR'S CHAMBERS – NIGHT

Merlin poured some meat stew into a bowl.

"Lost my appetite," Arthur said.

"You have to eat something," Merlin told him.

"I can't. Not while my people are starving. Do you really believe I'm responsible for the curse?"