Chapter 18

'Tell me what you were doing with the curator of the Archeological Museum' Sanem sat across from Altan who was taken in just a few hours ago. Once she could confirm that he was the same guy from the picture Can took, she'd called back up to take him in.

'I want my lawyer' He answered assertively.

'You don't have a lawyer'

'Then I'm not saying anything'

'Why were you running away when I was trying to talk to you?' he looked away defiantly.

'Ok don't tell me anything, we already have a picture of you getting an envelope from the curator. We'll just put you on trial for stealing a national treasure worth millions of Euros and we'll see how you do in court with your lawyer.' She got up to leave. She was bluffing, she only had a zoomed in shot of his hands in her phone. She doubted it would count for much in court.

'Wait...' He fell for it. She turned around and sat back slowly.

'Tell me everything you know and I'll make sure you don't get any jail time.'

'You can do that?' He asked still distrustful.

'I can but if I find out you lied to me I'll make sure you never leave this place.' She saw him contemplating her offer for a bit.

'The curator approached me a few months ago... he wanted me to do a replica of Istanbul #2461. I don't know how he found me but he knew I liked Sumerian text and wanted me to do the most realistic replica of the tablet. He offered me money I mean a lot of money to do it so I did. I didn't ask any questions because I didn't want to know'

'Were you giving him the replica in that photo?'

'No, he was just giving me the money. I refused to do it without getting paid first. I delivered the replica this morning.' It was starting to make sense, they were going to claim they'd found the stolen tablet and put the replica to replace it.

'So you knew they were planning to steal the tablet?'

'No no I had no idea but when I saw the news I figured it out. By then they'd already paid me a lot of money so I knew I couldn't back out.'

'Do you know this man?' She showed him a picture of Can on her phone. She saw something like a look of recognition that quickly faded.

'No' He was lying.

'Remember what I told you at the beginning, our deal only works if you tell the truth.' She reminded him.

'I'm not lying I've never seen him before'

'Fine, why don't you take a little time to think about it and let me know if you remember him' she stood up to leave.

'Hey you promised!' He yelled.

'I'll keep my promise when you keep yours'

....

Bulut was giddy as he got his morning coffee at the office. Deren had finally accepted to go out with him on a real date after years of trying. Granted, they'd been sleeping together regularly but he wasn't sure if she was serious about him. As time went on he noticed that she was warming up to the idea of him in her life. She was inviting him to her apartment more, bringing him coffee in the morning and being thoughtful so he thought he'd give it a shot. He was ecstatic that her answer wasn't no like all the other times he'd tried.

He saw Sarp making his way through the entrance and looked at his watch. He was a couple of hours late for the third time this week.

'Hey' He called out to him when he was about to walk past him.