Chapter 21

Sanem fixed her make up in her car as she was parked outside of Can’s apartment. She had butterflies in her stomach at the thought of seeing him. She wondered when she’d get used to feeling unbalanced whenever she was close to him.
She knocked on his door anticipating how he would look today. When the door opened she came face to face with a long legged tall super model looking woman wearing what was obviously Can’s shirt.

‘Hello?’ the woman spoke when Sanem hadn’t said anything for a while.

‘Is Can here?’ Sanem finally said confused.

‘Ah yes, he’s in the bathroom please come in’ she offered and led the way.

Sanem didn’t know what to think. She couldn’t believe what was happening so she wanted to see the end of it.
Can came out of the bathroom and she was relieved he was fully dressed when he did. But he was surprised to see Sanem and that unsettled her.

‘Hey’ she said hoping for some sign of normalcy.

‘Hey’ he said cold and distant.

‘Polen this is Sanem, Sanem Polen’ he introduced them. Sanem’s heart broke. This was his ex or maybe she wasn’t his ex at all. Nothing was making sense but it felt like her worst fears had come true. He avoided her eyes, probably embarrassed to be caught this way.

‘Sorry we’re meeting like this the flight attendant spilled coffee on my clothes on my flight here’ Polen explained her clothes or lack thereof.

‘I came to ask you a question’ Sanem gathered herself to stay professional.

She took out a picture of Sarp and held it up for him.
‘Do you recognize this man?’ Can finally looked up to the picture and examined it.
‘No, should I be?’ he asked now a little more normal.
‘I don’t know I just had a hunch about something, are you sure?’ She asked again waiting for some semblance of affection she thought he had for her.

‘I’m pretty sure, I’ve never seen this man in my life’ she couldn’t even recognize him. Everything was a lie. He’d used her for a night and he was throwing her away now that he was done.

‘Can... do you want some tea, I brought a cup for your friend too’ Polen said coming back into the living room with two cups of tea. Sanem hadn’t even noticed her leave.

‘That’s all I wanted to ask, I need to go’ Sanem watched Can hoping that he would change his mind about whatever he was doing right now but she gave up when he took the cup from Polen's hand without acknowledging her. She was out the door immediately.

She sat in her car with tears threatening to escape her. She didn’t know what to think and how to feel. She had to admit that she’d never felt like this about anyone as much as she did about Can. But it had all been in vain. She fell for the greatest trick of the game. She fought back the sob that bubbled inside of her. She blamed herself for being so stupid. So stupid to think that someone like Can could fall in love with her.
She breathed in to calm down and wiped the tears she couldn’t restrain. She thought about what Polen said,
‘I’ve brought tea for your friend too’, she was the friend.

She laughed thinking about the title she’d been given by his ex or current girlfriend. Your friend? Suddenly it hit her. Altan said 'I don’t remember your photographer friend'.

She first thought it was weird he said it because she’d never asked him if he knew Can but she figured it was because they’d chased him down together. Now that she was thinking about it she'd never mentioned Can to him and there was no way he would’ve known that Can was a photographer at all unless he already knew who he was. She started the car and sped off to the station, her answers would be with Altan.