Chapter 22

Everyone clapped for Sanem’s accomplishment during the usual morning briefing. She basked in the applause and realized she’d worried herself about not being taken seriously for no reason. She knew she was just as or even more capable than any of her peers.

‘The new director of the museum told me that they want to hold a celebration in honor of what you’ve done for them.’ The Captain announced to the group.

‘They also said they wanted to have a plaque made and they asked me what should be written on it. Your father always told me that he took you to the museum every year. I told them they should put Nihat and Sanem Aydin. I hope you don’t mind.’ Tears rolled down her cheeks.

She was touched beyond words. She didn’t care for professional etiquette; she threw her hands around the Captain and gave him a hug.

---

She spent the day being congratulated by everyone and was exhausted when she finally made it to her office. No matter how happy she was, she hated that Can was still at the back of her mind. She wondered if Metin had already told him that he was off the hook. He’d been her partner in trying to figure everything out that she wanted to share it with him. But when she remembered that rotten day any sympathy she had for him disappeared.

From her office she could see Sarp and Bulut making conversation. That was another thing that still bothered her. There was someone who stole the camera and flash drive from the station but she couldn’t think of anyone who would do that. She must’ve been staring for too long because Sarp noticed and nodded to her. She smiled awkwardly and turned away. Her suspicions still gnawed at her.

She waited until he was off his shift and made her way to his office. She figured there could be something in there that would help her figure out his involvement in all of this. She looked around to make sure no one was watching and opened the door with a key she’d stolen from the security guard when he wasn't looking.

She quickly started looking through his desk and opened all of his drawers but there was nothing. She accidently dropped a pen off his desk and bent down to pick it up.
On her way back up she noticed something plastered under his desk. She ripped it off and looked at it. It was the flash drive.

She started up his computer and plugged it in to make sure she wasn't crazy but she knew it was the same drive. Her heart started to beat fast when she saw familiar photos thqt were taken around the world. She sped through them to find pictures of the museum and soon she realized everything was there.

The door opened suddenly making her jump off her seat.

‘You couldn’t just leave it alone could you?’ Sarp said with a pointed a gun.

‘Sarp?’

‘Get up!’ he ordered.

‘What?’

‘Put your gun on the desk and get up. I’m not saying it again.’ She did as she was told.

He forced her to walk in front of him as they walked out of the station with his gun hidden in his jacket.

---

Can arrived at the station right before he knew Sanem would get off her shift. Deren had told him when she would usually go home so he decided it was the best time to go and apologize. He’d been filled in about everything that happened from Metin this morning so he’d spent all day planning on what to say to her.

Just as he was about to get out of his car, he saw her leaving the station with some guy. A twinge of jealousy pulled at his heart, had she moved on this fast?

He watched them walk towards her car. Then, he saw the man shove her forward against her will. His blood started to boil. But before he took any action, they were starting to drive away. He got back in and started to follow them.

˜˜˜
‘What are you gonna do?’ she asked as she drove. He’d forced her to drive to where he was planning to take her.

‘What do you think? You think I’m going to let you take everything away from me?’

‘We can just forget about the whole thing. I won’t say anything, promise.’

‘Nice try’ he chucked. She knew better than to use that line on another detective.

‘Why did you do it?’ she asked.

‘Uncle Ahmet raised me like his son. I’d do whatever he asked me to do. Turn here’ he instructed.

‘You know they’ll find you, right? Sooner or later someone’s going to figure it out’ she tried to talk him down but if she knew Sarp she knew he wasn’t backing down.

Just as she was making a turn the car behind them bumped into them lightly. Sarp turned around to look and saw the driver.

‘Oh look, it’s your boyfriend.’ He said looking back and forth between the rearview and the sideway mirror.  Her heart skipped, Can!

‘Step on it!’ he shouted and pointed his gun right at her temple when she didn’t act fast enough. Can bumped to them harder this time trying to stop the car. Sarp put his head out his window and started shooting at Can.

She abruptly took a sharp turn trying to get Sarp to drop his gun. The car skidded as it turned and crashed to a streetlight pole.

Everything went blank for a moment. When she finally put her head up, hee ears were ringing so loud. She knew she didn't have much time.

Sanem got out of the smoking car slowly. But it was too late, Sarp came out right after her and grabbed her by the ponytail. They struggled but he managed to put his gun to her head.

Can who had been running towards them slowed down at the sight of the gun.

‘It looks like you didn’t get my note’ Sarp shouted.

‘You come any closer and I’ll keep my promise.’

‘Can!’ Sanem called him in a strangled voice.

‘Listen, I kept my end of the deal now it’s your turn. Just let her go.’ Can said trying to sound brave.

‘Drop the gun!’ A voice came behind Sarp. Bulut stood with a gun pointed right at Sarp’s head. Can had seen him coming from the other end of the street and pretended that Sarp was still in control not to anger him.

Once Bulut took his gun, Sanem freed herself and ran to Can who waited with open arms.

‘I’m so sorry about everything Sanem, there’s nothing going on with Polen, she just came to see how I was doing and she left right after you.’ he said holding her tightly.

‘Ok’ she said with tears in her eyes letting the relief wash over her.

‘I love you so much Sanem, I love you so much it hurts’

‘I love you too Mr. Divit’ she kissed him then, sealing their words forever.

..........................The End..............................