Chapter 15

East side of Istanbul

The morning was pleasantly sunny and fortunately the cold breeze was bearable. He stood on the roof of a run down building looking across the narrow cobble stone street down to one of the only luxury apartment buildings in the neighborhood. He imagined what it would be like to live at a place like that one day. Not a thing to worry about except hot girls and fancy cars, just living the high life in Istanbul. Not for this sucker though, he thought. This guy was in deep trouble with some powerful people in the city. He was waiting for his murder trial and now he was being followed by someone like him.

He pulled the loose cigarette from behind his ear and put it between his lips. He covered the tip with his hand as he lit it. He'd been waiting up there since dawn. Waiting for something to happen. 

A couple of days ago, a man had called him in the middle of the night to meet up at an abandoned alley. He had shown him a picture of the man in the apartment and told him to track his every step. He didn't ask why because he never did. This was strictly about money so the less he knew the better. His job was to report to whoever paid him. That is until he would be able to afford one of the apartments he was looking at now.

Finally, he noticed movement at the entrance. He threw away his cigarette and turned his camera on. He adjusted his lenses aiming at the door.
Hot girl! He mumbled under his breath and started clicking.
He watched them as they lingered at the door and he chuckled.
'Even in this mess, rich play boy gets the hot girl'

They stood at the door facing each other until she waved to the guy and turned around to leave.

'Probably not gonna see her again buddy.' He said as he continued to take his shots. 

---

Sanem spent the rest of the weekend buried at work. Even when she was home she set up a board of everyone involved in Can's case and tried to connect the dots. The last thing she wanted to think about was Can but that was impossible given that her entire life was revolving around him. 

She knew she over reacted about what Metin said to Can. Her own insecurities got the better of her. But, something about what Metin said struck a cord with her. What if she was being used? She had pushed those thoughts to the back of her mind because of her attraction to Can. But, what if he was using her? She thought back to everything that happened between them in just a matter of days. It wasn't normal for her to be affected by men this quickly, but some how she'd gotten so close to him so fast. She didn't know him at all and she'd spent the night at his apartment. How did he gain her trust so fast? Granted, part of the reason she felt comfortable with him was that Deren and Metin seemed to trust him so much. But, if there was anything being in the force has taught her, it was that even the most trusted person in your life could commit the worst crime. Yet, her instincts were against the thought of Can being a calculating murderer. How much has she let her feelings for him cloud her judgement?

'Yes Guliz?' She answered her phone urgently welcoming the distraction. She'd been staring at her board for hours getting lost in her thoughts. 

'Sorry for calling this late Sanem' 

'What is it?' 

'I went to my tattoo artist today and showed him the picture of that guy's hand. We're so lucky because he recognized it.' Sanem almost jumped from excitement. 

'Really? Could he think of anyone who usually does it?'

'Well yeah, probably every tattoo artist in Istanbul. Any decent artist could do it if some one asked for it. He said he saw it posted as a sample in one shop and so he posted it as a sample too. He said he doesn't know what it is, he just thought it was cool.'