4-Waiting

Chapter 4 - Waiting

Brent's POV:

It had been a long morning and the early afternoon passed by fairly uneventfull. The monitor beeping was the only sound that filled the room. A knock at the door grabbed my attention and a woman who looked almost identical to my mate, just about 20 or so years older, walked into the room with a man in tow.

"Alpha O'Connor? I, uh, wasn't expecting you to be here. Is Alyssa in some kind of trouble?" The woman asked nervously.

Jumping to her rescue the man cleared his throat, "My mate is simply surprised, Alpha O'Connor. I assure you she meant no disrespect. You have every right to be anywhere you see fit in our pack." Clearly he was concerned his mate had offended me and was trying to protect her.

I stood from my seat and reached out my hand to shake his, "I take no offense to the question. I am sure my presence is quite surprising to the both of you. I assume you are Alyssa's parents?"

The man nodded, "yes, Alpha this is Mary, and I'm James."

"It's nice to meet the both of you." I returned their pleasantries.

"So it appears that I am your daughter's mate." This earned me wide eyed stairs from the pair.

"I know what you're thinking. She has a mate, but I assure you the pull I have toward her is 100% real. I am her mate."

It took them a moment, as expected, to take in what I had just told them. Suddenly Mary choked out a sob and walked toward me, wrapping me in a hug. "The Moon Goddess has heard my prayers." Her prayers? I lightly patted her back, looking over at her stunned mate to see if he knew what her reaction was about. She sniffled a moment longer and then stepped back.

"Alpha, I am so sorry for that outburst, but Dalton is so mean to my daughter. He has never treated her as a mate is supposed to. It's so hard as a mother to watch her experience something like that. Knowing there was nothing I could do to help her. I prayed and prayed, and here you are." My wolf was surfacing again. Anger coursing through my veins. So I was right. He did have something to do with this.

"Don't be sorry. You are my mate's parents. I may be the Alpha of Alpha's, but I assure you I view you both as family." They nodded silently and looked around me. Clearly they wanted to see their daughter. I stepped to the side and gestured for them to trade me places.

Her mother quickly assuming my previous position at her side and began stroking her cheek as she quietly begged her to open her eyes. Her father taking the opposite side of the bed. Emotion written across his face that I couldn't quite read. I decided to give them some privacy and with one last look at my mate, I gestured for my Beta to follow me into the hallway.

"Alpha O'Connor?" I turned around to see the doctor walking towards us, "I was just coming to update you on Alyssa's lab work." I crossed my arms across my chest and nodded my head for her to continue. "Alyssa did not drink all of the silver, which you know. She did drink enough to break her connection with her wolf, but I am not seeing any markers that tell us that connection will not come back after some time." She attempted to offer comfort, but her words regarding Alyssa's wolf did little to calm me.

"How much time?" My Beta interjected. I turned to him, giving him a glare for cutting off the doctor and he sheepishly stared at the ground. The doctor continued, "I am not exactly sure, but considering the lab work and the different variables, my educated guess is approximately 4-6 weeks."

I lost what little control I'd managed to have over my wolf and stormed off down the hallway. I could hear the quick footsteps of my Beta coming behind me. "Alpha, what gives? The doc said she should make a full recovery in about a month! This is great news!" His face lit up with excitement, while mine was set to a scowl.

I stopped walking as I exited the building and glared at him. I am sure my eyes were pure black as I fought to gain control, "of course I am grateful she will make a full recovery, but without her wolf it's unlikely that she will feel the mate bond and that is driving my wolf insane at the moment! Regardless of what the doctor said, she cannot know that Alyssa's wolf will ever make a full recovery!" I paced the ground, worry clenching my gut.

"Alpha, I get that, but Luna needs you. And who knows, you said the pull you feel to her is almost as if the two of you had already marked and mated. Maybe she will feel the same?" He shrugged.

What the hell was going on with this day? First I find my Second chance mate and Luna, and now my Beta was actually trying to console me and not crack jokes?

I sighed and began to walk my way back toward the pack hospital. I couldn't deny that Anderson was right. She needed me. Maybe he was also right on the bond. I had felt it coursing through me. Almost as if my life literally depended on it.

Mate! My wolf suddenly went wild again.

"Shit."

"What? What's wrong?"

"Just come on!" I yelled at my confused Beta to follow me.

We came rushing back to the doors of the hospital moments later,

"Alpha! Alpha O'Conner!" The same nurse sitting (aemills23 @wattpad only) in triage earlier today was now running out of the front doors of the hospital.

"Alpha O'Connor, Alyssa is crashing!"

***********

Like, vote, comment! 

How do we feel about the Alpha so far? 

Fixed some eyesores, sorry about that. -8/23/22