12-Trials

Chapter 12 - Trials

Alyssa's POV:

I tried to stay focused on the book I was reading, but the thought of seeing my daughter tonight, along with racing thoughts of unsuccessfully (thank Goddess) ending my life and constantly reminiscing over the last several hours, was making that difficult to say the least. I also could not take my eyes off of the clock. Checking it every few minutes, sometimes several times in one minute. I was so anxious and it had only been 32 minutes. I had an hour and a half until the Beta arrived, and at most until dinner time to await Brent's arrival. My hand brushed along my mark at the thought of my mate, the act causing me to shiver with delight.

'I felt that, little Luna..'

I jumped at the sudden mind link, melting at the sound of his rich, baritone voice.

'How are you doing?' He pressed through again.

I paused, trying to decide what to say, settling on the truth, 'Just trying to keep myself busy. The anxiety I am feeling is getting worse by the minute.' I shakily responded, my chest getting tighter and tighter with worry.

'I wondered if that's what was wrong,' he sighed.

'Have I upset you?' I carefully asked.

'Of course, you haven't, all I meant is that you are my mate and I can feel all of your emotions through the open bond.' He sweetly explained.

I bit down on my lip before responding. I was slightly embarrassed that he had felt everything I had been feeling for the last several minutes. He was so busy and here I was making his day worse by making him feel my anxiety.

'My love? Are you okay?'

'I'm fine, I was just wondering if maybe I should close the bond on my end, I don't want to bother you during your meeting...I would hate to mess something up for you...' I meekly responded.

'You could never mess anything up. And don't you ever close your side of the bond. Ever. Not unless you absolutely want to, but never close it on mine or anyone else's account, do you understand me?' He commanded.

I took a shaky breath, was I really getting turned on by him bossing me around? What the hell is happening... 'Yes, I understand.' I breathed out.

'Good. I have to head back in. I just needed to be sure you were alright.' His voice was full of love and protection for me. I felt as if my heart would explode. He truly cared for me.

'Ok... I love you.' I rushed out for the second time today. And I meant it. He was my destiny. He treated me the way Goddess intended. The way I'd seen my dad treat my mom. He has sat beside my bed for weeks and loved and cared for my daughter in the meantime. I didn't need any more signs to know I could trust this man with my heart.

I love you too, my sweet Luna,' he growled out before I felt the mind link end.

Just then the most heaven filled warmth began to spread over my chest and it made me feel so at peace I was afraid I would begin to float. Making me realize I had been so wrapped up in my anxiety, I hadn't been able to feel the calming effects of the bond, but focusing on my love for my mate caused me to calm myself enough to let it in.

The nurse had brought in breakfast a little bit ago, and I was thankful everything was covered by metal lids and that the coffee was still in the kettle, figuring everything should still be a decent temperature, I was so excited for a hot cup of coffee. I busied myself for the next few moments getting my breakfast situated; sugar in the oatmeal, jelly on the toast, and I was just pouring my coffee into the mug when I heard a knock at the door. I figured it was the nurse returning to get my tray from breakfast, I'll just tell her to let me have a while longer.