2//natasha romanoff

edited. 

A/N: Please fill in the time jumps with common sense and/or basic knowledge of the Harry Potter books (movies too, maybe).

"Thanks," Hailey said to Ern, the driver.

 She jumped down the steps and helped Stan lower her trunk and Hedwig's cage onto the pavement. 

 "Well," said Hailey. "Bye then!" 

 But Stan wasn't paying attention. Still standing in the doorway to the bus he was goggling at the shadowy entrance to the Leaky Cauldron. 

 "There you are, Hailey," said a voice she recognized right away. It was unmistakably the voice of Dumbledore, the headmaster of Hogwarts.

 At the same time, Stan shouted, "Blimey! Ern, come 'ere! Come 'ere!" 

 Hailey looked up, confirming it was indeed Dumbledore, and felt a bucketful of ice cascade into her stomach — she had walked right into Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts himself. Stan leaped onto the pavement beside them. 

 "What didja call Lavendar, Professor?" he said excitedly. 

Dumbledore was a tall and ancient man. His blue eyes always twinkled.

 "Lavender?" he repeated, smiling knowingly. "I'm sure she had a good reason to hide her identity but this is Hailey Potter," 

"I knew it!" Stan shouted gleefully. "Ern! Ern! Guess 'oo Lavendar is, Ern! 'E's 'Ailey Potter! I can see her scar!"

"Yes," said Dumbledore, "well Stan, I'm very glad the Knight Bus picked Hailey up, but she and I need to step inside the Leaky Cauldron now..." 

Hailey followed Dumbledore into the Leaky Cauldron picking her skin with her nails. Dumbledore must be here to tell her she was expelled. She would never see Ron or Hermione ever again, they would become best friends and forget all about her. And the Gryffindor Quidditch team will replace her too now. A new seeker will take her place and win the Quidditch Cup.

"We have a lot to discuss, Hailey. Can I tempt you to some muffins? I can imagine it to be an exhausting ride in the Knight Bus," Dumbledore looked much older than when she had seen him last year. It was almost as if his age was finally catching up to him.

Hailey nodded quietly and helped herself to some blueberry muffins. She couldn't come up with a plausible reason where she could justify blowing up Marge.

"The ministry has dispatched their special team and by now they have probably restored her to her original size. That is the good news. The bad news is that your Uncle has refused to allow you back into his home. Not this summer and not the one after that," Dumbledore informed her. He was surveying her very carefully from his half-moon spectacles.

Hailey couldn't help but think that Dumbledore had the idea of good news over bad news very messed up.

"That is very unfortunate," Hailey said attempting to look sad but she could hardly contain her smug smile. Even Dumbledore couldn't make her go back there. Dumbledore chuckled.

"Unfortunate indeed and now we are left with the task to find an appropriate guardian for you," Dumbledore said. Hailey looked up at him- a new guardian? She hadn't thought this through at all. It didn't make sense at all! Why would she need a guardian at (almost) 13?!

"Sir, there is no need- I am almost of age and my parents have left me enough money to support myself," Hailey argued right away.

"I'm afraid that at twelve, you're not of age quite just yet and the Ministry requires you to be in the care of a suitable guardian," he said calmly looking at her through his half-moon spectacles.

Hailey resisted the urge to correct him that she was almost thirteen and had been taking care of herself for as long as she could recall but despite the older man's gentle tone, she knew there was little room for argument. 

"The Weasleys?" she tested but she already knew that it would be a no. And unsurprisingly enough, Dumbledore shook his head.

"It has to be a blood relative on your mother's side," Dumbledore hinted.

"My grandparents died shortly after my parents," Hailey replied right away.

"I am aware," Dumbledore said smiling.

"And other than Aunt Petunia, my mother didn't have any siblings unless you count cousins. There is a third cousin-"

"That's where, I'm afraid, you're wrong," he said.

"Sir?" Hailey asked. She had no clue what Dumbledore was trying to hint at.

"Your mother was a twin," Dumbledore informed her.

"I know. Aunt Petunia told me long before. Aunt Poppy was kidnapped when she was four and they never found her," Hailey said. Her heart skipped a few beats as she realized what Dumbledore might be implying. "You didn't find her, did you?" she asked.

"Actually, as a matter of fact, I did. I saw her in one of those muggle magazines- I can't seem to recall the name but she along with five others were named Revengers after saving New York City from an alien invasion. You have one of those devices," Dumbledore demonstrated by tuning his hand into a smartphone and pressing random buttons in the air. 'bip pop, bip pop," he added additional sound effects.

"A phone?" Hailey asked trying to contain her smile.

"Yes, that is what they are called. Phones. Natasha Romanoff, they had so many articles after the incident last year," Dumbledore said. "Anyways, as I was saying, she was searching for her family too when I just so happened to stumble upon her, and long story short she has agreed to take you in. In New York. She's expecting us Monday morning," Dumbledore said.

"How come I haven't heard about her before? She just shows up in my third year and wants to take me in and I'm supposed to be like sure," Hailey asked skeptically.

"Her line of work- she's a scientist in a secret organization and so while Petunia may have let it slip in your first year, I was unable to find her. To answer your question why now, you must live with a blood relative. The intricacies are a bit complicated for you to understand but it's vital to keep you safe," he said in an authoritative tone that left no room for argument. Everything had already been pre-decided, she had no choice in this.

"So it's either the Dursleys or Natasha?" Hailey asked. 

Dumbledore nodded. "If you prefer the Dursleys, I will-"

"No sir, that is ok. No need," Hailey quickly denied any implication that she actually wanted to live with the Dursleys. This Natasha Romanoff sounded badass and she figured there was a fifty percent chance this could work out. And the way Dumbledore was putting it, this was her only option.

But then she realized, could she still go to Hogwarts if she lived in New York?

"What about Hogwarts?" Hailey asked.

"What about it, the semester starts in September. I highly suggest you don't leave your homework 'till the last minute," Dumbledore smiled.

Hailey smiled back. She needed to write to Ron and Hermione all about this.

"Hailey, a word of advice. Trust is beautiful and you need it to survive but be careful who you trust. Sometimes it can prove dangerous," Dumbledore said, the twinkle in his eye gone for a moment. Hailey looked at him utterly confused.

"Oh I am definitely getting old, just be careful and I will be taking my leave now. Be ready on Monday, we will be going to New York," he chuckled leaving Hailey puzzled as she tried to decode his words. Deciding she would think about this later, she headed to her room to retire to her bed early.

Dumbledore would be early tomorrow morning to pick her up.