26//auntie yelena

"How was the sleepover?" Natasha asked a few seconds after Hailey entered. Usually, Hailey would go on about her day without any prompting not leaving out any details-however unimportant they might be and Natasha absolutely loved hearing her chatting happily.

"It was alright," she replied and headed upstairs.

"Is everything okay? Do you not want to stay down here for a bit?" Natasha asked with concern.

"Uh yea, I'll go drop my bag off," Hailey said rushing upstairs before she was faced with further questioning.

She put down her duffle bag gently on the floor and let Lucky out.

"I'm so sorry, it must be horrible in there," she said sympathetically and Lucky whimpered in response. Hedwig was off delivering a letter so Hailey used the owl's bowl to fill up some water for the dog.

"I'll bring you some food okay?" she said as the puppy lapped onto the water. She cast a silencing charm over her room and headed downstairs before anyone became suspicious.

She took her seat on the table, fiddling with her fingers as Steve too sat down. Natasha opened the box of pizza and dipping sauce. The pizza was half vegetable and half plain cheese. Hailey was like a child and hated vegetables so while she was still made to eat them regularly, Natasha always made sure to order some plain cheese pizza for her.

"Pizza for breakfast?" Hailey asked.

Her appetite was pretty much gone since she already had pizza yesterday and she was sure if she ate any more, she would puke.

"Look at the clock little one, it's lunchtime," Natasha served her a slice of plain cheese pizza. Hailey mouthed an 'Oh' in response.

"You girls really need to start sleeping on time when you have sleepovers. You look horrible," Natasha said cupping her cheek.

"Oh yea, we ended up staying up a little," Hailey said and then added "'cause we were watching the Flash,"

She might have gotten good at sneaking around but lying was still hard. She didn't know if she'd given away too much information that it was suspicious or if she'd given too little information that made it unbelievable and half-hearted. It kept her on her toes which inevitably made her nervous and jumpy.

She also knew that she was flat-out lying to her guardians something she felt an unbearable amount of guilt for because it was the one thing Natasha trusted her not to do.

"You should get some sleep after lunch," Natasha said taking a bite out of her pizza. Hailey nodded and ate a bite out of her own portion.

"Did you put on makeup?" Natasha asked noticing some powder along Hailey's hairline. As far as she knew, Hailey did not own anything more than a chapstick she never used. Her lips were almost always chapped.

Hailey frantically tried wiping away the evidence. How had Natasha even noticed, that the box said 'translucent powder'. Wasn't that supposed to be like not seeable? She looked at their faces and realized how suspicious she must have looked.

"Uhmm, We were playing dress-up," Hailey lied trying to get that suspicious look off their face. She looked at both Steve and Natasha who were looking at her and then at each other intently. They didn't believe her, she would have to come clean-

They began laughing hysterically out of nowhere while Hailey looked at them confused. She was a pretty funny individual but she had cracked no joke right now. This was a very serious and very stressful situation for her and they did NOT help.

"What's so funny?"

"And you say you're all grown up now?" Natasha asked and then they once again burst into a fit of giggles.