Awoken From Coma

Ahab's POV

I opened my eyes slowly as everything was still blurry and kinda hard to hear. It all start to slowly go away as I regain my sight and saw two female nurses who were checking on me. I saw one walk away and I finally regain my hearing as I heard her footsteps.

The other nurse check my IV before she starts to walk away as well. I tried to say something but all I could do was grunt. It seemed like it caught her attention as she walks over looking down at me.
I tried to talk but then again I grunted and she backs up in shock running out the room.

Nurse: "Doctor, he's awake!"

I looked up to the ceiling to see a light and I turned my head to the left to see pictures and cards from people. Hearing footsteps come in the room, I look to see it was a doctor walking up to my side.

He looks around fifty or sixty kinda like my father's age. The doctor leans towards me looking deep into my eyes.

Doctor: "Can you hear me, lad? Nod if you can for me."

The doctor had a British accent and I slowly nodded at him.

Doctor: "Good."

Me: "Wh... whe... a...I?"

I tried asking but it was hard to talk and the doctor put his hand on my shoulder.

Doctor: "Your okay. Your in the hospital. We've been looking out for you when you were in a coma."

I slowly nodded my head understanding of what he said.

Doctor: "Can you look up, please?"

I did as I was instructed as I looked up at the ceiling before looking back down.

Doctor: "Very good. How do you feel now?"

I felt a little pain but nothing I can't handle I slowly raised up my hand struggling to hold it up as I gave him three fingers.

Doctor: "I see. That's good to hear, we can lower the medicines. Can you tell me what's your name and what year you were born?"

Me: "Se... bast...ian. Eight... fou..rte...en...nigh...tteen.... eighty... three."

Doctor: "Thank you. Now please relax and listen. Try not to panic. Okay?"

I nodded at the doctor before he begins to explain something. I knew it wasn't going to be good news either.

Doctor: "You've been in a coma for a quite sometime. Yes I know you like to know how long. I'm afraid it's been... nine years."

I looked at him in shock and I start to breathe heavily but I kept my composure as I slowly start breathing normally. I looked up at the doctor who was close next to and thought I was having a seizure or something.

Doctor: "It's okay. Calm down I know it's hard to register all this."

Me: "Wha... happened?"

Doctor: "You were in the helicopter leaving the mission area with the rest of your unit. But then, the helicopter blew up as it crashed down."

Me: "Any... m... men... survived?"

I tried to ask him and I saw him shake his head telling me no and I slowly shook my head. My men... my friends I called family are gone... I failed them.

Me: "It...s my... fault."

Doctor: "I'm sorry. Good thing is that they're buried at their home. A good resting place than on your Mother Base."

I gave him a slow nod and I turned to the right to see dog tags on the nightstand. I tried to reach for them but was too far away, but the doctor grabs them for me and put them in my left hand.

I just stared at them for awhile reading the names on them and I clenched my hand with them as I bring em up to my mouth.

Me: "I'll... always.... be... with you.... You were.... all... Diamonds.... We... and always... will... be... Diamond Dogs."

I slowly gave the doctor back the dog tags as he gently puts them back on the nightstand for me.

Me: "Anything... else I... should... know?"

Doctor: "Yes there is. But you need to see it yourself."

The doctor gave me a small mirror as I look through it to see myself. I saw that I have a couple of scars on my face but a thing that got my attention was two pieces of shrapnel in my forehead.

One was smaller and the other was larger. I guess they couldn't remove it or else I will suffer brain hemorrhage. Kinda like the phantom of my father had.

Me: "I... look like... a demon."

Doctor: "I'm surprise your taking this pretty well."

Me: "Well... let's just say... the same thing...happened to my father. It damaged... his brain where he can't speak a different language, just...only English. But... then again,... he didn't... really talk much unless... he needs to."

Doctor: "Interesting. I was about to say the same thing of the condition of yours."

I nodded and all the language except for the one I was born with is down the drain now. Looking at the mirror for a second I realized something and I look over to my left arm to see that it was still there just scar up and it looks like only few bullet casings are still in my arm.

Looking over to my right it was also still intact but has a large stables and stich scars. I slowly began to move my arms, my hand and fingers and they were moving kinda slow but still responding.

Me: "How many...bullet casings and...shrapnel did you...take out and... also ones still... in me?"

Doctor: "We got most of them. But some is still in you from the explosion. Want to see the X-ray?"

I gave him a nod and he walks over to the folder on the table as the nurse brings a light board so I can see the X-ray. It looks like I have a few shrapnel in my heart as well have some bullet casing in my chest and stomach.
Got to admit, I look kinda beat up but now I'm going to have to live with it.

Me: "Can I ask? Who... shot... us down?"

Doctor: "The White Mask."

Me: "Heard... about... them. At war... with the... whole... world."

Doctor: "Yes. Rainbow has been trying to stop them for years."

Me: "Then I... want to join... them."

Doctor: "You just woke up. Might take a couple weeks or more for you to regain your strength."

Me: "I... know... I'll wait... till I... feel better."

The doctor nodded to me and he starts to exam me to see if anything is wrong which doesn't a pair to be. He also asked if I was thirsty as I nodded and asked for water.

(Got to admit, drinking hospital water when waking up from surgery tastes so good.)