•09• sssournothings

Creative writing tips shared by sssournothings

•••

Plan. Plan. Plan.

While you do not need to plan the entire story before you start writing, it is best to be aware of the main arc of your plot, especially the beginning, the high point and end of your story.

Read. And keep reading.

Reading is the best way to find and hone your writing style. Reading similar genres and published authors help understand the craft of storytelling, perfect your style and improve the overall writing.

★ Write and then edit.

It is best to practise free writing. Let the ideas, words and creativity flow. You should encourage the flow of ideas without having to worry about the grammar and syntax. Getting caught up in editing while trying to write can take a lot of time and interrupt the flow of writing.

★ Develop your character.

Know the strength and weakness of your character and play upon them to develop them as individuals. Well-written characters with arcs are always a great asset to any book.

★ Plot and plan.

I cannot stress enough the importance of a good plot. Not only does it differentiate your story from the rest, it makes sure your readers stay engaged and involved in the journey. You might have a great idea but unless you are able to weave it into a plot, the idea might fall flat.

★ Don’t befriend a Thesaurus.

( A/N : Thesaurus - a book that lists words in groups of synonyms and related concepts. )

Thesauruses are great for finding new words, but unless you are familiar with the words and know how to correctly use the synonyms, using advanced vocabulary incorrectly often comes across as pretentious and unnatural.

★ Keep it simple.

Write how you would normally write. Do not overcomplicate the writing with unnecessary words, metaphors and expressions to make it sound fancy.

★ Get the idea.

Ideas often come at the most unexpected time. Be sure to jot them down before you forget them.

★ Research. And research.

Whenever choosing a topic, make sure you research it to the best of your abilities. Not only will it help make your writing more realistic and believable, it’ll also help give more ideas.

★ Have fun.

Writing should be your outlet to unleash your inner creative weirdo. Relax, unwind and enjoy the ride.

•••

Thank you, author. Your tips actually made creative writing appear simplest of all arts.