| 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 |

The morning after Maleficent's failed attempt to cure Aurora of her curse, Elenya doesn't leave her daughter's side. Previously, she had been holding onto a semblance of hope, but now, with her worst fears having been confirmed right in front of her, her stormy eyes are clouded with poorly-hidden despair.

Aurora, the observant young lady she is, noticed her mother's gloominess. Instead of asking her outright, she dropped very subtle hints.

"You know how you always console me when I'm feeling down? I would gladly do the same if you ever feel that way."

Elenya immediately tried masking her sorrow more efficiently after the blonde's constant remarks, while also agreeing to them.

The fairies spoke to Elenya throughout the day, trying their hardest to comfort the glum woman. Thistlewit and Flittle both made flower crowns for her, which led to the two arguing over whose crown Elenya would wear. In the end, the blonde adorned both crowns, feeling a little silly, but pleased the fairies weren't quarreling anymore.

Knotgrass didn't create anything for her, but they did have an in-depth conversation when she finally managed to get Elenya to stop following Aurora around like a lost puppy.

"Elenya, what happened last night? You're typically more optimistic about Aurora's situation, not moping around like a troll." The fairy gestures to the blonde's exhausted features, "By the looks of it, you've also had no sleep."

Elenya rubs the heels of her palms against her eyes and takes a deep breath, her frown deepening as she exhales, "I believe it finally struck me, Knotgrass. My little girl is cursed. And I can't do a thing to protect her." With her head in her hands, Elenya doesn't see the pitiful look cross Knotgrass' face, but she does feel her hand rubbing gentle circles across her upper back.

"No worry needed, Elenya. She'll be here on her birthday, safe and sound, with no cursed spindle anywhere around!" Knotgrass giggles when she rhymes but is quick to cover it when she remembers the severe topic at hand. Luckily, Elenya smiles at her antics, welcoming the change in mood.

As the sun lowers, Elenya's spirit heightens. Knotgrass' words ricochet in her mind, allowing a speck of hope to blossom within her chest. Aurora had noticed her mother's attitude shift as night neared. She chalked it up to her wildly apparent crush on her Godmother.

And she's somewhat correct.

~~~

Aurora giggles softly as a flock of fairies dances around her squatted form, unaware of the two solemn women gazing at her from a raised alcove. Elenya's face holds a slight smile, while Maleficent's lips curl downward in a frown.

Elenya glances at the fae, sensing her unease. Rather boldly, she takes Maleficent's hand in her own, her grin increasing when they lock eyes. "No matter what happens, I will forever be thankful to have you in my life", the blonde discloses, hoping to flush away any excess doubts in her mind.

Judging by Maleficent's plunging breath, fluttering eyelids, and trembling smile, she succeeded. Their moment ends when Elenya's gaze shifts to Aurora, who's now standing and dusting off her gown. As the teen strolls towards the trail from whence they came, Elenya follows, tugging an absentminded Maleficent along.

Maleficent's attention is brought back to Earth when Aurora directs a harmless question toward her, "Do all the Fair People have wings?" Elenya's gate falters at the girl's query, her grey eyes zeroing in on Maleficent's blank expression. "Most do."

"Then why don't you? All the other fairies fly." Elenya loudly clears her throat, "Why don't we talk about something different?" Aurora furrows her brow at her mother's attempted change of topic, but Maleficent's voice prevents her from questioning it. "I had wings once. They were stolen from me." The fae stops walking to face Aurora directly, "That's all I wish to say about it."