Chapter 9: Problem solving and movies

3rd person POV:

Andi hasn't been herself recently. She's been distant, like she's building walls and shutting people out. She's kept to herself and given short answers when asked questions. Scarlett and Colin started to notice.

"Hey bug, want some breakfast?" Scarlett asks as she sees Andi walk out of her bedroom.

"No thanks," the teen replies, making her way to the living room. She sits on the couch and turned the tv on, going to netflix and putting on 'Criminal Minds'.

The older woman watches her almost daughter with a close eye. With possibilities of what might have happened, she decided to just brush it off for now.

Scarlett walks into the living room and sits next to Andi. Andi stays distant for a while but gradually moves closer and closer to Scar. She eventually ends up nearly on top of Scarlett's lap. She's leaning into the older woman's side with almost all her body weight on her. Scarlett starts to run her fingers through Andi's hair which makes Andi smile.

Soon, Andi starts to feel hungry. She slowly gets up to make herself a bowl of cereal. She walks to the kitchen and gets out a bowl, opens the pantry and takes a box of 'Fruity Pebbles' out. She fills the bowl and then pours in the milk. She puts the milk and cereal box away and then sits on the countertop, watching the tv from the kitchen.

Scarlett glances at Andi every now and then, studying the girl. She feels like asking her would make her more distant so she tries to figure it out without having to say anything out loud.

———

Scarlett is reading in the living room and Andi is in her room scrolling through her phone. The girl hasn't said much. She always has this sad and guilty look on her face and she won't let Scar do really anything for her.

A soft knock can be heard outside of Andi's door.

"Come in," Andi says loudly. Colin walks into her room.

"Hey monkey, what're you doing?" he asks as he lightly jumps and lands next to Andi on her bed. She giggles.

"Monkey? I like it," she smiles and earns a chuckle from Colin. "I'm scrolling through my phone. I see a lot of stuff about us on the internet. When are we going to say stuff?" the teen says.

"Say stuff?" Colin repeats, confused as to what she means.

"About me."

Colin nods in understanding. "Not yet, but soon. We still have things to figure out and talk about within our family first."

Alessandra nods. She knows her life will never be the same but she's okay with it. She prefers this life over the one she had 1000x.

The almost father/daughter duo lays in comfortable silence for a while. Both of them just sort of staring at the ceiling or the wall.

"What's going on, monkey?" Colin asks, breaking the silence.

Andi looks at him but doesn't say anything.

"Alessandra."

"Nothing, i'm fine," the girl lies and plasters a fake smile.

"Don't lie to me. What's going on? Why have you been so quiet and distant?"

Colin can see the girls eyes start to tear up. He isn't going to push her too hard but he is going to at least get an answer.

"I- um," Andi starts. "I don't know."

Colin furrows his brows and stays quiet so that Andi could continue.

"I know you guys love me. And I love you guys, so much. But I cant help but feel that I'm just like an extra weight on you two. And I know you're going to tell me no, and my heart knows that, but my head is telling me that I'm a burden and you're only helping me to be nice or something." she concludes.