15. the wager

As it turned out, the entire household, save for Harry, Web, Damon, and the younger girls, was in on the wager. Most of the servants, particularly the ladies, placed their bets with Price and Gale in favor of a match between Simone and the duke. The men, including Lydia, who was loyal to Simone, did not believe a match was possible simply because they wanted to go against the women. A large amount of money was at stake now, and everyone was eager to win.

Simone had to find a solution. She would do anything to escape Price and Gale's plans. With the lady servants on their side, they could easily execute any of Price's ingenious strategies.

Leroy, a lanky footman with reliable ears second to Lydia's, approached her one morning to murmur, "They're planning to trap you in a room with the duke, Miss."

That could be easily done, Simone thought. But that would not happen. She could be very careful, but then she would not want to always be wary whenever she was in the manor. She hated feeling trapped in her own home. And she would hate to suffer the embarrassment of their plans.

And so, on that same afternoon, before the men went out for a ride in the fields, Simone waited in the courtyard. Lydia was entertaining Emmeline in her painting studio, showing the woman her artworks. The two younger girls were in the garden, harvesting tomatoes. She was alone, and she jumped to her feet when she saw Daniel Cavendish emerge from his wing in his riding clothes.

"Your Grace, may I have a moment?" she rushed in a hushed tone. Looking over her shoulder, she added, "It's important."

"What is it?" His gaze was on her, and she stepped back, suddenly growing conscious.

"I will not take much of your time," she began, twirling her fingers together. "But I would like you to know that something is brewing in this household."

"Brewing?"

She nodded. "You see... Price and Gale, and a few other servants, are on a wager."

He cocked an eyebrow. "A wager."

"Yes. On you and I."

"You and I?"

"A match," she said, feeling her face flush. But in her desperation, she managed to step closer. "Fret not, I'm betting against it with the others."

"You mean to tell me there is a wager going over us?"

She nodded. "It's silly. Don't think too much of it. We constantly wager in this household. This place is a giant gaming hell, I tell you. We wager over a battle between bugs and—Well, you must know what I mean."

He looked baffled, breaking his icy demeanor. "And you're in on the wager. But you're betting against a match between us."

"Yes, of course," she said with a scoff. "Because it is ridiculous, isn't it?"

It took him a while to answer. In fact, he just stood there looking at her—no, scrutinizing her face—that she started to feel her heart racing against her ribcage. "Of course," he said.

Simone forced a smile. "Then we agree they should not win." Realizing what she said, she hastily added, "Not that I'm hoping they will because that's just impossible. We, a match?" She forced a laugh, feeling stupid. "But of course, the fact remains that they will want to win. And it will be very taxing for both of us."

"How so?"

She looked over her shoulder again to see if anyone was about. "They'll do anything to bring us together. We don't want that." His brows rose. He said nothing. Simone gritted her teeth because it would really help if he said something. "So, I suggest you stay away from me and I'll do that same. Trust me, it's the best. It will not be long before they realize this childish wager will not be fruitful." She stepped back, proud of herself for having conquered this feat. As days went by, and as their interactions grew in number, she realized she had been anxious for nothing. His presence was not as intimidating as she first thought. He was just a man. He was not even the Daniel Cavendish she knew. "I'm truly glad you're taking this quite well."