26. the threat

Dearest Simone,

The second visit was worse than the first because. It seems her animosity toward me reached a different kind of height. It's palpable. I was sent back to my carriage before I could even step through her doors.

However, I must say that I'm not losing hope. Her youngest daughters found out about the purpose of my visits and invited me into their home on the third day. The youngest is by far the most understanding. Yesterday, I helped Mrs. Craig with one of her broken windows, but I'm afraid I only made matters worse. I had to order for a carpenter to finish the job and fix what I broke. It still baffles me that the Craigs served me tea. Do you think that could be considered progress? I could not tell because the tea tasted like sawdust. And before I went home, Mrs. Craig grudgingly gave me fresh biscuits to take home to Emmeline.

What of your day? I hope nothing untoward happened. It rained here yesterday and I'm wondering if it also did in Abberton. Don't venture out if that were so. The grounds are soft and not ideal for someone with your unbelievably graceful footing.

Emmeline changed the curtains in my villa. They're now white, which made a big difference in the parlor. It allowed the scant sunlight we get here in Coulway this season. The cobbled streets are constantly wet here, the sky gloomy. The only life we get are the numerous parties, which I don't particularly enjoy, as I still prefer the attention I get on stage over the one I have to endure as a duke. Emmeline, however, enjoys the balls we're invited to.

Another week and we'll win the wager, yes? I think I will stay here a little longer, then. But be certain to keep my winnings for I will most certainly go back for them.

Web is in town and has invited me for drinks. I will tell you more in my next letter.

I miss you, Sisi. When I see your window across from mine, when I walk down the same path we walked in the rain and that afternoon your pearls flew out of your hair, I miss you.

Yours then and always,

Daniel

***

After he sent his letter, which would arrive in Abberton in three days, Daniel came by Mrs. Craig, surprised when she walked out the door with luggage. Her eldest daughter was due to give birth any day soon and she would stay there for weeks to help her daughter recuperate.

"I'll take you there. Please allow me."

She took a moment to consider his offer before she huffed and said, "If you insist."

Their ride was quiet and awkward despite the festive mood from the fair they passed by. He did not know what to do, nor say, so he fiddled his thumb, biting the inside of his cheek. If she was staying with her daughter, did that mean he could not bother her? Was this why she was going there in the first place?

He should stop his thoughts, he told himself. He was beginning to sound like a bloody stalker.

"Do you have a wife?" she asked, breaking her silence.

"N-No."

She scoffed. "That explains how you find the time to pester me."

His mouth broke into a smile. "I have someone who is kind enough to wait for me."

"Wait for you?" Her almost-angry face broke into a frown, and then a scowl. "You dare make her wait?"

He nodded. "I have other things to do first."

Understanding crossed Mrs. Craig's face and it fell quiet again. They rode for a few blocks before she seriously said, "I don't know why you think you deserve forgiveness from me. You don't."