22. the bastard

It felt right. The rain chilled the air; the wind blew fine droplets around them. But it still felt right. They were engulfed in a fire, one quite different from a passionate night spent with a lover. It was a kindling that warmed. That did not burn. But it was definitely one that had the potential to surge.

Carefully, Daniel sought with his lips, then his tongue. And innocent that she was, Simone knew what to do. Her mouth opened and explored as eagerly as his. And soon, there was nothing but the moment, the need for more, but also the fear for too much.

His hands cupped both sides of her face and hesitantly ended the kiss, his lips hovering a hairsbreadth from hers, his forehead pressed against hers, his eyes closed. He knew he should regret this, but he felt nothing but relief. For once, since he returned home to assume his responsibilities to his family, he allowed himself something he truly wanted. He had not felt this for so long; had forgotten just how an act of carelessness could make the world seem fine and exciting.

When he finally opened his eyes, hers were already staring at him with the familiar charming curiosity he always loved. What came out of her mouth, however, made him laugh. "Are you a bastard?"

"What?" he laughingly asked, brows arched in both amazement and surprise. The only other person to have asked him that question so bluntly was Web.

"Is that the reason you're so distant?"

His laughter died slowly, replaced by a small smile. He took the moment to tuck her curls behind her ears, kissed her lightly on the lips again before saying, "It is not a big secret, but yes, I am."

She looked at him with a bewildered frown. "You don't think you deserve your title?"

He nodded, kissing the tip of her nose. "Because it's not quite fair. My father's mistress gave birth to me before he was married to the duchess who, in turn, took me in as her son when she learned that my birth mother died. I'm not hers, but she treated me as her own. I only gained the title because my father wanted it and because my sisters were born with a different anatomy."

"Or maybe because you deserve it."

He chuckled. "As my father said, I should stop whining about it." He tipped her head to he could kiss her again, this time lingering, murmuring against her lips, "We should get back to the manor." She leaned away gently and narrowed her eyes at him. Daniel smiled, although deep inside his heart was a beast against his chest. "Are you bothered? That I'm a bastard?"

One eye squinted, as if it hurt for her to think hard. "It bothers me that I still feel your bastardy is not your major concern."

He stole another kiss before he finally stepped away to take a deep breath. He let it out and smiled at her. "You're too smart—"

"Miss Sisi!" Leroy's distant voice came calling, and they both groaned and stepped further away from each other. As they waited for Leroy to find them, she leaned against the door of the cabin and he on the railings of the balcony.

She cleared her throat and she looked beautiful just like that—damp with frizzy hair, chin lifted high as she tried to act not too concerned. "Whatever it is, that's what's stopping you, isn't it?"

"Stopping me from what?" he asked, smiling as her face flushed.

"From being..." She waved her hand in frustration. "From being the Daniel I knew. The actor. The man who loved acting and adored being on stage."

He bent his head to study his wet leather shoes, their footprints on the wooden planks—his and hers facing in a kiss. He did not want to end this moment with a confused Simone. She did not deserve it after what he had done to her years ago.