19. the suitors

The mystery was eating at everyone. Even Web postponed his departure to Birth to wait for Price and Gale. Harry and Damon wanted to search for the pair, but the earl told them to wait. "We could not let poor Charity's reputation be marred by you lot asking every block if they had seen them."

He rarely gave opinions, but whenever he did, everyone considered it law. And so they waited. No one left Abberton House. Even Damon did not question Mr. Skelton if he knew something. The man seemed clueless when he came by to check on the horses. Simone easily deduced that Harvey was just as clueless.

Charity did leave a letter, but it was only to let her family know that there was no wedding to come. She would go somewhere safe, she said. Price and Gale would take her there.

"She said she needs time," Mrs. Poppet managed to say before she burst into tears that afternoon Simone and Daniel came by to deliver the dress. Mr. Poppet, to their surprise, was as calm as Dorothy. Arabella, however, was quiet, saying very little as she consoled her mother.

Bridget, on the other hand, had more to say. And she did just that three days after Charity, Price, and Gale left Abberton, the same day the wedding was due to happen. She called on Simone and Lydia in the courtyard.

"Papa went to Harvey," Bridget told them, leaning close. "And I think I know why Charity left."

"Why?" Simone and Lydia chorused.

"He told Papa he met another woman while in Birth and had fallen in love with her."

Simone and Lydia gasped, scandalized.

"He never intended to pursue the woman, he said. In fact, he was intent on marrying Charity." As the two Stratfords looked at her with disbelief, Bridget leaned even closer to add, "But the worst part is that he seemed angry when Papa told him Charity left and broke the engagement." They frowned at their friend. "He's blaming Price."

"Why?" Lydia asked.

"Because he helped Charity run away?"

Bridget shook her head. "He would not say, but I believe he believes Price was the one who told Charity about the other woman."

It took a moment to process, but when they finally pieced things together, they said, "Oh."

"Is that why Price said, 'You know what to do. You bloody know what to do'?" Lydia asked, assuming a deeper tone to mimic Price's words from the river incident.

"He said that?" Bridget asked.

"Yes," Simone replied to both questions, nodding her head, eyes rounding as she realized something. She gripped her cousin's hand tightly. "That's why he and Gale looked grim that day we took him to Doctor Peters!" She turned to Lydia. "That day, Harvey and Mr. Skelton were also there. They must have said something and Price and Gale must have heard it."

"Then that must be it," said Bridget, shaking her head. "I'm truly disappointed. Harvey should have known better. I agree with what Price must have been thinking. He should have told my sister."

"But," Lydia hesitantly said with a grimace, "considering what happened to Arabella before, I believe Harvey only wants to be honorable. He didn't want Charity to suffer the same heartbreak as Arabella did."

Simone sighed because that's all she could do. Lydia made a good point.

"Then he must have been ignorant of Ara's ability to survive said heartbreak. Did he think that if he told Charity the truth, my sister would spend her entire life moping?"

"Charity is strong. And she's too kind. She would have given him freedom if he had only been honest," Simone said.

Lydia turned to her. "Do you think we should ask Mr. Skelton? I'm certain he knew all along."