12 - Snowdin Town

We should go back now and check out that other pathway, the dummy tells them as Finn finishes fawning over the gigantic fluffy white pomeranian they just brought back from the beyond. They'd seen its pile of dust lying ahead and had chosen to continue straight rather than turning down the narrow path branching out from it, planning on doubling back and pursuing that route later. They're so confused. How could anyone kill something so round and cuddly?

Finn gives the dog one final pat on the head, then stands up, causing the pomeranian to run barking over to its tiny doghouse on the other side of the clearing.

They turn down the narrow pathway, which leads down onto some sort of wide ledge attached to the cliff, and almost immediately stumble upon another pile of dust, this one belonging to a strange reindeer-like creature with a sideways jaw and branch-like horns sporting a multitude of odd household items.

"Ho, ho, ho. Go ahead and laugh," it mutters dazedly, before jumping to its feet and sprinting back up the path before Finn can so much as say "Hello".

"Nice meeting you!!" Finn calls after it. It skips into the trees and vanishes from sight.

Rude, the dummy comments. But understandable.

Finn shrugs and finishes walking down the pathway, nodding their head in time with the underground's music, which has once again sped up a few notches. They reach the start of the ledge and swing around the corner.

There's a person  there.

Finn gasps and jumps back, tripping over their feet and landing sprawled on their back in the snow. Their hood flips over their head, and for a moment everything goes dark as they flail around, trying to maneuver themself into a sitting position while struggling with their cloak and squeezing the dummy in one arm.

"whoa, there, kiddo," an amused voice remarks, and Finn suddenly feels a strong hand wrap around their unused arm and pull them gently to their feet. It lets go, and Finn pushes their hood out of their face to find a pair of inverted eyes with glowing white pupils hovering a couple inches above their own. They gasp again and stagger backwards, and the stranger grabs their arm again to stop them from toppling off the edge of the cliff.

"i'm not going to hurt you, kid," the stranger assures them, pulling Finn away from the edge before letting go once more and taking a couple steps back. He's a skeleton, Finn realizes, like Papyrus, but infinitely different. Papyrus is very tall, whereas this skeleton is only about half a foot taller than Finn. Papyrus's head is long and rectangular, whereas this skeleton's head is short and rounded. Papyrus wears a superhero costume, whereas this skeleton is wearing an unzipped blue jacket over a thick gray turtleneck and a pair of white-striped black shorts. The face, however, is by far the biggest difference: this skeleton has a pair of very large, very scary eyes, contrasting frighteningly with the huge skeletal grin spread across his head. The grin itself is friendly, the smile of a jokester, not a psychopath. The eyes, however. They seem to stare directly into Finn's soul, and there's a strange bitterness about them, a deep hatred and sadness lurking just below the surface. Like they can see past Finn's mask and know exactly who they are and where they're from.

"no need to go taking any more unnecessary falls," the skeleton jokes, and Finn's heart freezes before they realize that he's referring to Finn falling upon encountering him, and not  to them falling into the Underground.

Right?

"I'm so sorry," they stammer. "I didn't mean t- I almost crashed into you, I wasn't looking-"

"it's fine, kid," the skeleton replies, studying them. His eyes move down to the dummy, cradled safely in Finn's arms. "what's up?"