29 - Saving Grace

The judgment hall is long and wide, paneled with large stained glass windows illuminating the area in a warm yellow light. Great pillars rise up from either side of the red and orange tiled floor, smooth and massive and carved of pure white marble stone. Birds can be heard from outside somewhere, twittering and singing as if they were flitting through the trees on the Surface. Great spikes and collections of sharp bones fragment around, jutting out of the walls and floors and spotted with dark red blood.

In the center is a human. A bruised and bloodied human, to be sure, but alive all the same. It's standing in a rigid, unnatural position, a sharp knife clasped in its right hand. 

Directly across from it is a skeleton. A skeleton with his hood thrown back, perspiration dripping down his skull. A skeleton whose eye sockets are somehow closed. 

A skeleton.... who is sleeping.

The human raises its hand. The hand holding the knife.

It lunges.

Sans's eyes snap open, and he jumps to the side. The human skids past him, knife slashing down on empty air.

"heh, didja really think you would be able t-"

The human turns and slashes again.

But before the fatal blow can land, before the blade can slice through Sans's SOUL, Finn leaps in front of him, hands stretched out, desperately blocking the attack. The knife tears through their palms, and for a moment time freezes. Finn stares at the human. The human stares back. For a split second, their eyes are open. They're wide, blue, innocent. Terrified. Filled with pain.

Then the moment passes, and the human staggers back, eyes closed once more. Red blood drips from their knife. Finn's blood.

Agony flares up in Finn's hands. They hold them up to their face, trembling. They're covered with blood. Blood is pooling in their palms, dripping down their wrists. Their fingers are stained red. There's so much blood they can't even see the actual gashes on their palms. They try to move their fingers, and the pain shoots down their arm like an electric shock.

They feel dizzy. They wonder if they're going to faint.

Before they can, however, there's a sudden warmth at their back, and Sans grabs them and holds them steady. There's a small pop, and they teleport to the far side of the hall, away from the human. Keeping one arm wrapped around them, Sans turns them toward him, and they stare anxiously at his face. He looks exhausted, more tired than they would've thought possible. Even his smile is drooping. But his eyes are awake, bright and filled with shock and concern.

"kid... oh, kid..." He gently takes one of Finn's hands, holding it by the wrist. "it's gonna be okay, monster magic will..." 

He trails off and stares at them, disbelief etched across his tired face. 

"...why?"

Finn blinks, their eyes suddenly filling with tears.

"'Cuz I like you," they sniff, "even if you hate me, and I can't let them murder you, not in front of me, I want to... I need to save everybody..."

Sans studies them for a moment, then abruptly pulls them close, letting go of their wrist to hold them in a tight one-armed grip. Down the hall, the human has regained its balance and is slowly turning to face them. It's standing. Waiting. Finn feels a burst of fear, terror for Sans's life and the lives of all the other innocent monsters of the Underground, and they turn away, focusing their gaze on Sans's gray turtleneck.

"i don't hate you, kid," he says quietly.

And then, suddenly, they're off.

The next few moments are a blur to Finn. Wind whistles through their hair, and they can tell that Sans is moving rapidly around the hall, using his strange powers to significantly enhance his speed. His right arm, the arm that's not wrapped around Finn, flies out and performs astonishingly quick gestures to summon white and blue bones and humongous skeletal heads whose jaws burst open and send blindingly bright white lasers blasting in the direction of the human. The human follows Sans around the hall, moving with inhuman speed, deftly dodging his attacks and trying to get close enough to strike him with their blade. Occasionally the light in Sans's right eye dims, and the one in his left eye swells and begins flashing turquoise and yellow. When this happens, Sans is able to use his power to latch on to the human themself with a blue aura of force and fling them across the room.