23 - Undyne

"Can you check the path to the right?" Finn asks the dummy.

They've been wandering through the very dark areas for a while now, investigating each and every gemstone-lit path for more monsters. So far, they've found two new ones. Finn isn't sure there are any more, but they want to make it 100% certain, especially now that it's grown even harder to see anything: the gemstones in this particular section fade after a few seconds of glowing and have to be relit by tapping strange blue lanterns placed in intervals along the black ground.

"Sure," the dummy says offhandedly, and Finn senses, rather than sees, him abandon his post over their shoulder and float away down the path. He has an advantage over them; he can see somewhat in the dark, without needing help from the rocks.

Confident that the dummy will be able to find them again, Finn sets off down the left path, treading carefully and sweeping the area for new piles of dust.

They're a bit... worried, to be honest. It's been a while since anything has really happened. It's only a matter of time before it does.

Case in point, their foot goes much farther down than they'd been expecting to in the next step they take, and they stumble into an invisible, dark pool of water, liquid splashing up around their shoes.

Finn winces slightly and is about to step back up onto the dry land behind them when they notice a faint blue light several paces ahead of them, much brighter than the gemstones their eyes have become accustomed to. It's in a vague, roundish shape and is illuminating the area around it, exposing stone and a couple of withered-looking reeds.

Another flower, Finn realizes.

Curious whether or not this one has something to say, Finn carefully splashes their way across the pool and soon emerges onto dry land once more before completing the last couple of steps and ending up within a couple paces of what is definitely one of the talking blue flowers. It's repeating something over and over to itself, quiet and eerie. Finn leans closer to try to make out the words.

"You aren't gonna tell my parents about this, are you?" the flower whispers.

Finn frowns, leaning back. That's odd. Who would...

Their eyes widen. Monster Kid. It had to be. It sounded exactly like something they would say.

They take a step back and look around, their eyes now accustomed to the dim light of the plant. There's a dark opening in the wall a couple paces down from them, with more glowing gemstones set into the floor. Another path. If Monster Kid had indeed come this way, they would've gone down there.

Finn hurriedly makes their way over to the tunnel and enters, straining their eyes to see through the darkness. There are a couple more blue flowers, which helps a bit, but they still don't notice that the tunnel floor has reverted to water until they actually step in it. Wincing, but determined to make sure that Monster Kid is alright, Finn sloshes bravely through it, carefully listening as they pass each flower. Nothing. They're all silent, like the ones before. Except....

They pause, cocking their head. No, they can definitely hear something. And it's not the heavy, ominous silence they're used to. It sounds like... talking? And was that... was that a whimper? But it doesn't seem to be coming from the flower... it's coming from....

Finn continues moving and soon stumbles upon a dark hunched shape, curled up in the water and crying ever so quietly.

"H....hey," Finn says anxiously, peering at it. It's definitely Monster Kid; the shape has no arms and is very obviously wearing a striped sweater.

Monster Kid gives a violent jerk and scrambles to their feet, whirling around to face Finn and stumbling back a few paces.

"It's okay, it's me!" Finn hisses, listening to the distant talking. It wasn't coming from Monster Kid, so who....?