Chapter 7 - Miss Sober

"So..." Regina's clipped tone cuts through the sharp silence, "what do you plan on doing once you're home?"

Athena shrugs dismissively, not looking up in fear that she might lock eyes with Cynthia, "Dunno."

"Well, 'dunno' just won't cut it," she continues adamantly, "and I do have a surprise for you, dear."

Athena shuffles in her seat, finally looking up at the escort. Sipping lazily from her glass, she watches her expectantly.

"I have been able to get you an invite to the Victor's party in the Capitol," she beams, spreading her hands in excitement, "You have finally aged enough from the times of fresh Games news that your attendance will be less... attention seeking."

Athena stares blankly, not at all mirroring her escort's peppy tone. When she doesn't respond in anyway, Regina sighs dramatically as she stands to leave, "There is no pleasing some people."

With a final huff, she's gone and out of the sliding carriage doors. Leaving her and Cynthia in a stoney silence, she picks at the plump, red grapes with disinterest. She swallows thickly, knowing the stylist won't leave until the silence is broken.

"I, uh," Athena clears her throat awkwardly, unused to this sort of confrontation, "I didn't mean what I said on the platform, Cynthia. I'm... I'm sorry; there's a lot going on and I-"

"I know,"she interrupts calmly, offering a warm smile, "and you... you are like a daughter to me- not that you have to see me as your moth-"

She laugh lightly at how the lady immediately retracts her words, "Cynthia, you have been more of a motherly figure these past years than my family has as a whole. Just know I don't mean what I say."

"I can't imagine the stress you are under, darling," she gazes at the younger woman sympathetically, but her eyes soon fall to the empty crystal glass in her hand, "and that stuff sure isn't helping."

"This is the only thing that helps," she retorts firmly, gazing into the bottomless abyss of the kaleidoscope glass, "You know, I thought Haymitch went mad after his Games. Turns out, he's one of the only sane ones out there. Pretending to not be fucked up by the Games is either a pile of crap or a sadistic load of shit. In the case of my family-"

"Shhh," Cynthia places her hand on Athena's arm, interrupting her riled-up rant. While thinking that was only out of comfort, she leans in and whispers into her ear (with a contrasting, warm smile), "There are eyes and ears everywhere."

Athena nods, immediately noticing how her anger had clouded her better judgment. They fall into further silence, but the light hiss of the brakes alerts them of the impending stop.

"I'll see you in a month or two, Thena," Cynthia stands, walking to the carriage door. Without hesitating, the mentor pulls her back and into a tight hug. She loosens once she gets over the initial surprise and mumbles, "Please, don't lose yourself."

6 weeks later

All glammed up and ready, the Andre's limousine pulls into the front of the Presidential Palace.

Accepting a graciously outstretched hand, cameras immediately flash and swarm her vision. Soon, all 8 other Andre's in attendance pile out with grand waves and broad smiles. At a paparazzi bottleneck, they are all ushered together into a family photo. As expected, she is shunned to the back next to her equally intoxicated cousin.