Chapter 10 - Brute Strength and a Thick Skull

"Well, well," Haymitch looks up at her from the rim of his crystal glass, "don't you just look like shit, sweetheart."

"Ironic, coming from you," Athena swipes the glass from his hand to only weak protest, "I've been starved: Regina has banned all alcohol in the train and penthouse on the premises of 'mental well-being'."

He scoffs, swiping his hair from his eyes lazily, "There's whispers of a... what would you call it... a 'disruption' in the Capitol hierarchy this year."

"Mercutio has been mortally fired," she confirms, remembering the broadcast a few months earlier announcing his 'departure', "and his younger brother Seneca is now in charge."

"Yes, but I don't believe it is because of the Games themselves," he recites his thoughts, as if only voicing a prior analysis of the events, "but more, how should I put it... Mercutio's failure to 'angle' the Games towards the most 'fitting' Victor."

Athena scoffs, knowing exactly what he means, "The Capitol have been rigging the Games since day dot; it's nothing you don't know going into them."

"Yes, but they only have a certain amount of power," he continues, his eyes darting around the mostly empty room, "despite popular belief, it would be wholly possible to break the Games structure from within. Call it a sort of 'Tributes' Coup'."

She raises an eyebrow at him in question, so he continues, "What I mean is: Capitol citizens are lead-headed, but they know when their bets and money is being lost unfairly."

"I heard Finnick and Johanna talking earlier," she mumbles softly enough that no one else around can hear, "something about the Capitol killing people, which isn't exactly something new."

"Did you... hear who it may have been?" he asks in a very unconvincingly flippant tone.

"All Finnick alluded to was - I quote - 'everyone you l-' and then Johanna unsurprisingly interrupted him," despite how they usually laugh about the Capitol in many aspects, the older Victor's expression slips to a sort of melancholy sympathy. He mumbles out an indiscernible response, and falls quickly silent.

"Right well, my tributes should be back by now," she goes to stand, but he catches her wrist at the last moment.

"I also heard whispers," his voice is low and barely audible, "that you're in a little bit of trouble at home."

His raises eyebrow is teasing, yet she can't find it within her to play along. Two peacekeepers wander absently into the room, to which she stands straighter and move away, "Don't worry about it, Haymitch, it's nothing I haven't dealt with my entire life."

He seems utterly unconvinced, yet lets her go when he notices the armed men as well, "I'll see you 'round, sweetheart."

~~~~~~

"Up, up, up everyone!" Regina bellows through the apartment, "It's a big day today: Parade Day!"

Athena internally groans, knowing that if it fails spectacularly - despite the fact that this is completely out of her control - it will be blamed fully on her.

After getting dressed into a stylish, black robe she steps out of the room and is immediately faced with two equally menacing tributes.