Chapter 17 - The Entirety of District 7's Extensive Hierarchy

2 weeks later

"Well done, daughter," her father nods courteously to her, as he enters the dining hall, "for finally producing a Victor."

His 'compliment' is nothing short of a sarcastic insult. Biting her tongue, Athena mumbles out a quiet, "You're welcome."

"Yes, well it was just most unfortunate that it had to be under such... pressure," he continues, standing immovably from the doorway, "But alas, reflecting on minor details of the past isn't why I'm here."

"Here to make me an Academy janitor, are you?" She jokes flatly, resting her elbows on her knees as she sits dejectedly.

"No, no of course not," he waves her suggestion off as if it was utterly ludicrous, "An Andre Victor as a janitor?! That would make us the laughing stock of the Capitol gossip channels."

"So..." she begins, questioningly, "What's my new job."

"Do you remember old Nicholas Collins?" her father begins after a moment.

The ex-mentor pauses in thought, before nodding, "He was a senior Peacekeeper, right?"

"Yes, very," he confirms, pacing slowly, "he was deployed after being the first candidate to complete the Head Peacekeeper training with full marks. He was a valiant man, who brought law and order to the unruly outer districts."

"Why are you telling me this? Do you want me to be like him?" She asks, becoming increasingly agitated by the sharp clipping produced by his shoes as he paces continuously on the stone floor.

He laughs lightly, finally stopping to look at her fully, "No, I want you to be him. Or, at least, an equally able replacement."

She pauses in shock, "You want me to be... a Peacekeeper?!"

"Head Peacekeeper, yes," his smile is knowing and confident, "Nicholas was brutally murdered by a group of unprepared extremists who, as far as we know, acted alone in their savage attack."

Athena shakes her head in confusion, "How have I not heard about this? This should be headline news."

"The President stopped the story spreading, saying that these extremists should not still be at large when the public is informed," he explains, "It would empower them, and make them look above the Peacekeepers who handle so much control over Panem."

"So... you want me to find them?" she asks, slightly confused.

Her father chuckles, knowingly, "No, no that was two days ago now, and there's not many places that 5 young terrorists can hide. They were found in a log storage facility, hiding among the birds in the rafters above."

"Life in prison, I assume?"

"Oh, no," again, a sardonic grin spreads across his face, "Your first act as Head Peacekeeper of District 7 will be to oversee the execution of these extremists. Only then will President Snow broadcast it."

She nods nervously, awkwardly shifting in her seat, "So, when do I leave?"

"Tonight," he states calmly, "but there is no need to pack: all of your belongings will be shipped to you."