Chapter 20 - You Don't Take Your Job Seriously

8 months later

"With the 73rd Games just around the corner, what can we predict - or theorise - at this time?" Caesar questions Claudius intently. Both seem so engrossed in their thorough, yet brain-numbing, conversation that it feels almost awkward to watch.

"Well, our latest Victor - the darling Valda Heavensbee - will join the District Two team, in their transition year between mentors," Claudius' words make Athena internally groan, knowing that (on the first talk show of the Games' 'season') she will still be firmly in the lime-light.

"We will miss the lovely Athena most dearly, won't we? She was such an asset to the Games," Caesar admits gravely, talking about her personally as if they have ever had more than 20 minutes of conversation.

"How will we ever replace her? It was so hard when Judas left," Claudius adds, equally mournful of her departure, "let's just hope Valda is up to the task."

In hindsight, their short exchange could easily have been mistaken for an obituary broadcast after her tragic and untimely death.

While this thought briefly amuses her, it strikes her that perhaps it isn't too far from the truth: after this year, she's history. Sure, they will dust her off from the back of the closet every few years for a catch-up when they need a bit of nostalgia or the odd time-filler. Her family would have no qualms in moving the spotlight away from her but (while she has no issue with this either) she will only continue to dig her feet into the inescapable quick-sand of District 7 all alone.

Could she get lost here for the rest of her day? Would that be too bad?

At this moment in time: yes. Since their horrendously awkward and complicated altercation nearly 8 months ago, Johanna had pointedly avoided all contact with her. District 7 is by far the largest by land mass, so the local had found it beyond easy to evade her scouring prowl over the area. Even when Athena went to the Victor's village in the early hours, one of her neighbours (and fellow Victor) Blight denied seeing her. She can't imagine that he would have too great a reason to lie.

Despite her seeming to go off the map, no amount of careful route planning and hooded jackets can escape the virus-like infection of gossip. Some would imagine only the Capitol and Career districts would endorse in such childish behaviour, yet it appears to be quite the opposite.

As rumours go however, those in the districts are somewhat more serious. Nevertheless mostly insubstantial and untrustworthy on the open market, they fester deep in the culture of the outer-lying squalor. With nothing tangible to by and sell, the most poverty-stricken appear to have come full-circle: they trade in secrets, just like the Capitol.

Rumours about who's dating who - or inconsequential questions of the sort - are far beyond interest. Questions of who knows a weak-minded Peacekeeper - or where the gaps in the district's defences are - are worth more than gold to them however. These things get you places no low-lying trade ever could.

So, in another one of her tours of the district, Athena takes more avid interest in this secret currency. Only a weeks or so after their... 'thing', Athena had stumbled upon a business which could easily endorse her curiosity.

Weaving through one of the larger settlements in the north, she had ditched her usual armour attire for a simple robe. Covering her head and wearing a thick scarf to beat away the cold, even the latest Capitol security camera wouldn't be able to recognise her.