Chapter 25 - I Hate You

As Johanna shut the door quickly behind her, Athena places her forehead on the back of the door in despair. What had happened?

She herself had woken up again about an hour after the younger woman had practically hypnotised her back to sleep. Noticing that Johanna was out like a light, she stayed firmly where she was: it was beyond comfortable.

But that's when she started to become restless. At first, it was the odd clench of the jaw or twitch of the hand. But quickly, it developed into all out head shaking and arm movement. This will probably sound horrifically selfish, but Athena didn't wake her up because she was comfortable. A poor excuse, she's aware.

But eventually, Athena begins to think that it's some sort of nightmare. Not unusual for a Victor. As Johanna begins mumbling incoherently, she tries to pick up on the odd word, but nothing seems reasonably discernible. After a moment, she appears to calm down again, before the quietest moan slips past her lips. Was it pain? Was it something else? Athena doesn't risk it, and immediately shakes her awake. If it was a nightmare, not rousing her defeats the entire purpose of Athena asking her to stay.

Throughout their conversation, Johanna seems completely out of it. Watching her with what could easily be interpreted as either guilt or concern, Athena can't help but feel uncomfortable herself.

"We should do this again sometime," the District Two mentor offers with a smirk, trying to lighten the mood. Usually Johanna will take this bait and counter her, but she doesn't.

"Yeah, just... call me," is all she says, her face devoid of any emotion. Athena doesn't know what she did, or what is going on. But she's worried.

"Will do, and thank you... for everything," as they stand in the open doorway, Athena notices the way that she looks up at her. It was strange to see someone - usually so estranged and shut off - with such an emotional depth. Even in her eyes, it's as if Athena could read a thousand word.

So, in parting, she leans down and lightly kisses her cheek. She tell myself that it was simply an act of gratitude, or friendly farewell. But she can't lie like that: it was blatant and inexcusable self-restraint. Athena notices the way that she descends into deep thought, as if hypnotised. Walking stiffly, Johanna leaves without another word.

What had gone so wrong?

Despite helping her sleep better than ever, the nightmare still haunts her. It began with a memory of Achilles, laughing as they walked through a market in Two. Unlike her memory however, he is soon ambushed and detained by a squad of Peacekeepers. Bloodied and beaten, he calls out desperately for his sister's help. But she can't move. Once he's cuffed and lifted back to his feet, she takes in the faces of the Peacekeepers.

Every one of them is her.

Some have Capitol-altered faces; some have more gaunt features; some have glasses and ginger hair; some have a buzz-cut and military tattoos. But they are all unarguably her.

Regaining eye contact, they begin to beat him again. Batons and the ends of guns, boots and gloved fists. And in the centre is her, as if she were looking in a mirror. 'She' kicks him square in the back, grinning wickedly as Achilles struggles to pick himself up again. Still, he's calling for her. But she can't move.

Finally looking up and forcing himself back to his feet, there's another person in his place: Valda.

The same happens: she is beaten bloody and unrecognisable before 'Athena' kicks her to the floor.