4. Maisie

Bishop didn't call me back, he arrived instead looking very annoyed.  After the murmur of him greeting Mary, I heard him stomping my way and got up to meet him. "Bishop, what are you doing here" I asked as he pulled me into a hug.
He raised an eyebrow at me and stared, knowing I would crumble... Damn it. "You know about the land?"

"Actually No I don't, I do however now know something is going on and that you have not told me about it, How can I protect you if you don't tell me when something is wrong" he growls out and I sigh, this, this was why I hadn't told him.

Mary appears behind him and knocks, bringing his attention to her, as I gather my thoughts. "Dinner in an hour, Bishop, I hope you will be staying" she informs us.
"I would love to Mary, thank you" he agrees
"Good, make sure she tells you all of it" she tells him and hurries off, away from my glare her way.

"Maisie?" Bishop's tone lets me know I have no way of avoiding this, so I tell him everything and watch as the red creeps over his face.
"Do you know where he is now?" he asks deceptively softly and I shake my head.

Bishop leans back in his seat and closes his eyes, I know he is processing everything I've said to him and I feel lighter, relieved that I had finally told him.  Whilst I wanted to fight my own battles, Bishop had always been there as my protector, growing up I had been his shadow when he was home and he had been my rock when my parents had died.

"I had another call today" he pauses and I look at him confused. "A representative from the Breitmeyer Group would like to meet with me, why would that be?"
I shook my head, there was no reason for them to go to him, not unless "They probably want to buy your land, as I will not sell... are you going to?"

"Yes, I have a meeting with them Thursday on the base"
"I want to come" I rush out and see him fight the grin, he was expecting my words.
"Of course" he tells me stopping my argument before I've even opened my mouth.
"I can?" I question, narrowing my eyes at him, waiting for the catch.
"You can" he agrees.

The rest of the evening passes easily, both of us comfortable in each others company and I relaxed as Mary teased Bishop through dinner about his need to find a wife before it was too late.

That night however my sleep was restless and doubts crept in, in my dreams they took my land from me and suddenly concrete covered my beloved hills and Stewart's menacing laughter was ringing through my mind.

I woke in a cold sweat, hating that Stewart could do this to me, I was stronger than this and I knew even without Bishop on my side I could beat them, but that didn't really stop the worries from racing through my mind. Kicking back the covers and moved silently across the room to my desk, pulling open the heavy drapes before sitting down and gazing out at the familiar view. I let my mind wander, letting my imagination take the fear and twist it into a story I could control.

Reaching for the Ipad I started to outline the story that was filling my mind, getting lost in the plot until Mary knocked on my door .

"Come In" I called, stretching my stiff muscles and realising what the time was. It was nearly noon.

"I was worried, are yer okay... oh you're writing?" Mary came into the room a steaming mug in her hand.  The scent of strong fresh coffee making me groan and her grin as she passed the cup to me.

"Bad dream, then I couldn't sleep, so I'm trying to write it all out" I tell her.
"Good idea" she says with a grin "I hope yer cousin is getting what he deserves in it"
"He will" I agree taking a sip of the coffee, before jumping up and getting between Mary and the bed.  "I can make my own bed" I tell her, spreading my hands wide to keep her back, knowing she had been aiming to do just that.

"I know you can but its my job" she argues back and we both grin at each other, the familiar argument bringing us both peace.
"Your fired" I offer and she shakes her head laughing at me.
"Never" we grin at each other again.

"Its good to see you smile, now, I'm off to the village, do you need anything" Mary smiles

"No thank you Mary... I automatically reply before thinking "But if you go to the post office though could you see if there is any mail"

She grins again before leaving me alone and I know then she had already planned to do that, Pluto's Adventures generated mail that went to a PO box rather than direct to the house to help preserve my anonymity as the author.

Flopping back on the bed I think about what I need to do today, as a rule I liked having a plan to follow, I had an online meeting with my editor planned for tomorrow that I wanted to move to today.  Tomorrow I know I would be worried about the meeting with Bishop and the Brietmeyers.

I heard the sound of a car leaving and knew Mary had gone and with a grin, I got back up, making the bed before heading for the bathroom, feeling ready to face what remained of the day.