[ 02 ] RECONCILE

UNEDITED.

vote goal: 2,000 votes!

[ 02 ] RECONCILE

MATTEO 

The sound of the blaring alarm clock ringing through my head caused me to wince. I jabbed my thumb against the screen after seizing it from my bathroom countertop. The clip in my mouth hung lowly while the smoke slowly made its way into my eye.

"Fuck!" My eyes began to water as I swatted the fog away, immediately rubbing my eyes with one hand. I used the other hand which held my phone to pull the clip away from my lips. My mother's name flashed across my iPhone. "Fuck, fuck!" I cursed out again.

Coach held us back half an hour for practice today. I was pissed as I knew my father was showcasing a home he'd recently completed on the north side of town. The drive up wasn't the worst part; being anywhere around my family right now was.

Matty had been institutionalized again in one of Ridgeport's most private rehabilitation programs on the east side. It was a lot closer to campus and the beach house so I made plans to take a day off this week to drive to him and talk. As Gramps refused to house Matty any further after the night of the altercation, my mother made sure two 24-hour surveillance nurses were at his beck and call. I knew Matty hated the feeling of being caged in, no matter what the situation was. Hopefully, my visit would allow him to see a familiar face and I could get a better understanding of what occurred when we were all together last.

After the fight between Keith and Matty, Gramps was taken to the hospital but is now back at the estate with his own personal team of medical professionals monitoring his health. He was to be in attendance tonight alongside my father to showcase a new home on the market to buyers, however due to what occurred with my brothers, he was sitting this event out.

I knew Gramps would be furious to not attend the home showcase that they'd been working on for almost two years. In his perspective, his absence reflected poor leadership and unprofessionalism. We'd definitely have to move mountains in order to receive us back into good standing with him.

After not answering her first missed call, my mother's name flashed on my phone again. I released a heavy sigh, hit the joint again and answered.

"Matteo Wittstock, where are you?" The tone of her voice allowed me to know that she was indeed furious.

I blew the smoke out of my lungs and lied shamelessly. "There's traffic, Ma." I flicked the light switch off and grabbed the coat that rested on the edge of my bed.

"You're aware of what our family is going through right now. Gramps isn't with us tonight and your father needs all the support he can get. You understand this?"

I contained my complaints as I knew after the altercation with my brothers, it would be best to stay on my mother's good side. "I know, I know. I'm almost there. Don't worry, I'll be there."

"I'm waiting." She said, "make it here safely." She ended the call as someone called out her name on the other end. I didn't recognise the voice but I shook the thought out of my head as I slid my iPhone into my pocket and made my way out of my bedroom.

Bash and Trey were in the living room as I jogged downstairs. While Bash was playing the game, resting comfortably on the couch, Trey lain on a black hydraulic chair with a blunt of his own recording himself with his phone while his tattoo artist continued to work on him.

My footsteps caused them both to look up at me but his tattoo artist continued to work. I tapped the end of my joint out on the stair railing to put it out.