CH. 9 Guess, Cracks, Rats

Morning arrived sooner than you thought.

To get the clue as soon as possible, Mirabel got ready twice faster as usual. By the time you were ready and got downstairs, Abuela informed everyone that you were to have breakfast by the courtyard.

Mirabel wasted no time and rushed to the girl in the big bun, prattling about the things you saw yesterday, asking for any beneficial sources for the investigation.

Slowly approaching them, you saw how weird Dolores was acting by not giving any signs of Mirabel's jabbering session but simply staring at her.

Dolores did not answer, just eyeing back and forth between you and Mirabel, and then you noticed she had placed her food on the plate more than usual. It only gave you one conclusion: the girl standing before you wasn't Dolores but Camilo. He probably wanted to get seconds just by turning into Dolores, and he did that frequently by turning to others than Dolores from time to time.

Somehow Mirabel was oblivious to notice that in her rush; she didn't see the slightest peculiar act about her prima. But you weren't stupid; you hung out with the boy more than you wanted to, so eventually, you could see the difference.

''Mira, I don't think that's-''

''Camilo! Stop pretending you're Dolores so you can have seconds!'' scolded Tio Felix, who just came out of the house. Behind him was no one but the right person Mirabel was looking for - Dolores.

Your guess was always accurate.

The 'Dolores' who Mirabel talked to had morphed back to Camilo's normal state, shrugging his shoulders causally. ''Worth a shot.

''Ah! Ey!'' He got hit by Casita's window attack.

When Tio Felix was gone, Dolores whispered in a volume that only you and Mirabel could hear, ''The only people worried about the magic are you and the rats talking in the walls. Oh, and Luisa. I heard her eye twitching, all night. Hmm.''

Luisa brought the table to the courtyard; Abuela then urged everyone to get to the table. Chairs took themselves by the desk, and everyone took their seats; of course, Mirabel was fast to grab a seat next to Luisa, which almost made Tia Pepa's mood go bad.

You took the seat by the end of the table as ever, not sparing a glance to the boy in yellow ruana as he fastened his eyes upon you. So you kept your eyes on Abuela, literally everywhere else but him.

As Abuela began to talk about today's family council issues, Mirabel turned and whispered to Luisa about the clues for the cause of the magic problem. You knew she would get Abuela's berating for not paying attention to the discussion, and your guess was again. Mirabel's chair had moved to Abuela's side, making a fuss.

''First, an announcement. I spoke to the Guzmáns about Mariano's proposal to Isabela. Dolores, do we have a date?'' asked Abuela, now walking behind, Isabel and Dolores.

''Tonight; he wants five babies.''

The response made Isabel grow flowers all over her head; never had you ever that would think Mariano was so into Isabela that he even wanted so many kids with her, which was a little gross since you were just fifteen.

''Wonderful! Such a fine young man with our perfect Isabela,'' said Abuela, picking a flower from Isa's head. ''We'll bring a new generation of magical blessings and make both of our families stronger.''

Camilo turned himself to Mr. Mariano, pouting like he was asking for kisses, but he got stuffed with flowers for revenge on Isabela.

You wanted to laugh out loud because it was still funny to see Camilo got a prank back. Nonetheless, you held your laughter well, and it gave him quite an astoundment to see you not finding it amusing.