CH. 10 Saving or Breaking

Dinner time. Abuela was talking to the Guzmáns while you and other family members listened to their conversation. ''The Guzmáns and the Madrigals together will be so good for the Encanto.''

Senora Guzmán agreed, ''Yes. Then, let's hope tonight is not a disaster.''

''To a perfect night!'' Abuela made a toast, and everyone chanted 'Salud' as a reply.

You thought it odd when Mirabel bored her eyes into Dolores so intensely that Dolores didn't break her eye contact with your best friend. Only one possible answer crossed your mind, and it would be a nightmare if your speculation was correct: Dolores knew about the slab.

When a bowl of Avocado passed in front of Mirabel, Dolores quickly whispered something in Camilo's ear that made the boy in yellow ruana shape-shift himself to Mirabel, Tio Bruno and an expression that you thought was extremely funny. He had a face of goggling eyes and a wry mouth, so you softly giggled. Unfortunately, your little laughter had grabbed the attention of Abuela and Senora Guzmán to look at you, then at Camilo.

You immediately stopped your laughter, mumbling shyly, ''My apologies.''

''Camilo, fix your face.'' reminded Tio Felix, and Camilo's face morphed back to normal, eyeing Mirabel with a worried look.

You thought his lips curved up to you for a split second before he told something in Tio Felix's ear when Mirabel took over the jar of water Isabela provided.

Tio Felix had spit quite an amount of water out from his mouth, splashing all over the table where Abuela and the Guzmáns were seated. Now that your guesswork was correct again, Dolores must've heard what Mirabel was trying to tell you before the dinner.

''Mirabel, the cream, please,'' said Abuela.

''Pá, the cream?'' signaled Mirabel. Tio Agustin stiffly passed the cream to Mirabel, making Isabela eye them full of curiosity.

That led Tio Felix to whisper in Tia Pepa's ear, causing her to get distressed that the dark clouds formed above her head, thundering.

''Pepa, the cloud.'' Abuela pointed out.

''Clear skies, clear skies...'' Tia Pepa comforted herself, frantically smoothing her hair.

But right in the next second, Tia Pepa was talking in Tia Julieta's ear, making Julieta look at her youngest daughter with eyes full of concern.

The next thing you knew, cracks were developing under your feet while you saw Mirabel doing the same; she even ducked her body to see it clearly.

Why did these cracks have to show up right now? Right in the middle of dinner with the Guzmáns?

Mirabel accidentally got another suspicious look from Abuela, the Guzmán, along with Tio Agustin. That was close. If it weren't for Mirabel's suggestion to Mr. Mariano to propose to Isabela, the situation might have worsened.

Or no.

More and more cracks eventually emerged on the floor, so Mirabel had to block them. Then, she yelled at something under the table while Luisa was too feeble to carry the piano.

Was the magic getting weaker?

You ducked under to see it for yourself, and you were shocked that Antonio's animal friends got the slab pieces.

''No!'' shouted Mirabel, trying to stop the animals below.

You tried to get up but accidentally hit the table, making a fuss, followed by the cries of Luisa, a thunder that scared the toucan. It flew above Senora Guzmán's head. The room was a total mess, but still, many family members couldn't perceive what was happening for now.