Bird Brains

Note:

A rabbit's foot means good luck in Japan.

Fukuro's wings push the door against the morning's bright sun. She wipes her talons on the doormat and listens. Nothing sticks out. The kids were at school. The man was at work. She drags her feet to the foot of the stairs. In one squat, she covers the entire flight. As she leans into her bedroom, her eyelids fall to the floor. Unfortunately, the cyclone in her head severely counteracts this.

Fukuro tosses the headphones and goggles onto the bed. She trudges into the bathroom, turns the handle, buries her head close to the faucet. She cups his hand beneath. Seconds later an icy splash encompasses her face. A combination of tap water and sweat drips off her nose like a waterfall. The droplets easily roll off her golden head feathers. They quietly soak into the brown hairs underneath. After a few more rinses, Fukuro's lungs shakily intake air. She fumbles for a towel and rubs her face dry.

A silent buzz in her pocket snaps her awake. She pulls out her ePhone and looks at the message.

Usagiyama: Everything settled in? We should have coffee and

donuts today! My rabbit senses are tingling to know

how owl-vrything has been going!

Tsubasa: Sure. Can I hop over later the evening, though?

What?! I meant right now ya know-it-owl!

Listen, dust bunny. Unlike yee hoo retired a month ago,

I just landed from a nightmare twelve-hour shift.

I think that's owl the more reason to meet up.

Nobird's at home right now, correct? So how're

you gonna stop plucking your feathers out? I bet

you haven't eaten much, either.

You're not wrong. I'll be there in a hop, skip, and a jump.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knock knock knock!

"Who's there! Leave! I'm expecting a guest!" a voice calls from the other side.

"Usagiyama, I am your guest."

Creak!

Out pops a woman's head. One and a half rabbit ears spike out of her cropped, white hair. She dons a bright grin and throws open the door. As she does, one of her legs swings up towards the guest's face. Just as it's about to make contact with the target, five spikes of pain shoot through Usagiyama's bare foot up her leg.

"Hey! Those talons hurt Tsubasa! You rarely trim them!" the rabbit hollers. She presses her foot further. A few blood drops splatter on the tan sidewalk. The owl's golden eyes drill down into the rabbit's red spheres.