grammar [5]

this is probably something i see people struggle with the most. and there's always excuses for it. "english isn't my first language." "this is my first time trying something like this."

okay?

did your grammar get better throughout the story?

i've seen things where people just don't try. like, they're writing style is just straight up lazy. no, actually, they probably put in more work than i do. because i just let autocorrect help me out most of the time.

in case you don't know, i'm talking about people who right like this(and not just in a/n's):

"ur kidding me, right?" she said.

"idek wut ur talking abt, tbh."

stuff like that. like, hello? we aren't texting. unless you are, in which case i guess it's fine. but there is no excuse for people who do that just for the fun of it. like when characters are talking to one another in real time.

let's also talk about english being your second language. sure, that's a much more valid excuse. but as time goes on, you should be getting better at it. like i'm taking french, and i've slowly been getting better. you can not use the excuse that you're still learning forever. it gets old after a while.

also, there's this sight called grammarly. yes, the thing you get adds for in youtube videos. believe or not, it actually works. my school requires me to use it when i have a writing piece for them, and that shit— WOAH. it works wonders.

so if you struggle with english, for starters, maybe try starting off in the language your most comfortable with, but also go ahead and give grammarly a go when you have the chance.

okay, enough about grammarly. i'm not getting paid for this, so we're not mention them again.

here's another thing we should talk about: the tenses. you should've probably learned this in first grade, but there are three. past tense, present tense, and future tense. those are the only three, and you should only be using one at a time.

i usually write in past tense. some write in present tense when they are using the pronouns "i" or "me". and future tense is also sprinkled in. but you should be using one of tenses per sentence. i don't care if change it in the next sentence, just keep the one you're currently using past tense if it started off that way.

here's an example:

I went to the mall yesterday. Right now I am at the grocery store, and later today I plan on going to the bank.

you see how i used all three tenses?

while we're going back to second grade fucking grammar, let's talk about sentence structure. you can use compound sentences, you can use simple sentences, you and use complex sentences. but for the love of God...

DO NOT USE SENTENCE FRAGMENTS👹👹

you'd don't know what a sentence fragment is? good to know you failed kindergarten.

i think you know it's bad when i'm bashing you about your english from kindergarten. here's a little something about me, i used to go to a spanish immersion school. it means we mostly spoke in spanish and there were only spanish speaking teachers there. i didn't even know how to read or write in english until i was in second grade. (yes, i live in america)

but i did know what a fucking sentence fragment was.

at just five years old. if you don't know that now, i'm gonna assume that you're too young for wattpad. *sigh* but here's an example anyways.

In the beginning.

you know why that's a sentence fragment? because there isn't a subject, predicate, and complete thought. those three things are needed to make a complete sentence.

and aave. i see a lot of people miss use it. most of which (sorry to bring race into this) are white. please do not use aave if you don't know how to use it properly. i swear if i see some say "these fits are bussin" i'm gonna shoot myself. that's not how you use it, and i'm gonna have to ask you to hand me your phone.

but seriously, please don't use aave. like in your writing. if you're going texting style, you can try. but even then, don't try to have all of your characters use it. unless that's just the way you talk.

did i miss anything? (not pov. i'll be writing a whole chapter about that and SECOND PERSON POV later)

from: your favorite author ;)