language [11]

here's something that every single one of you will struggle with: using colorful language.

"what do you mean by colorful language?" i mean this is one of the most annoying things ever. wanna know why? because it shows how elementary you are in writing when you can't expand vocabulary and just use repeat words.

and guess what? i still have trouble with this.

an easy fix is to just go on google and search for synonyms on the words you're using. but it's not as easy to change the sentence structure your using.

something i see often, not just in others' writing, but my own included, is the lack of variety in sentence starters. and i think it's even harder when you're using "y/n" and you don't necessarily like typing that. half because i'm lazy and hate how i have to switch to the numbers thingy, and half because i just don't like the way "y/n" looks on screen. or in general.

back to the point.

i feel like it's hard to just change the way you start a sentence. and i don't like how the only way i can indicate the gender of the person so that it's easier to tell who i'm talking about without repeatedly typing the name only has few words.

like "he." what else am i supposed to use? male? that's stupid, but i still use it anyways when i can't find another word. brunette, or blonde, or whatever other hair color they have? hate it. to me it feels like you're just meeting a character for the first time and still don't know their name quite yet. but i still use it anyways.

you see the difficulty with this?

he's something valuable i've learned: your method of writing will be full of contradictions.

"how is that possible?" *blinks* HAVE YOU SEEN THE STUFF I PUT IN THIS HELP BOOK AND COMPARED IT TO MY WORKS?!

sorry, sorry.

didn't mean to have an outburst. but still, it is all confusing. i told you all to make your characters' personalities unique. look at mine. in some way, shape, or form, they're all alike. the y/ns all have the same sort of personality.

sure, one might be a bit ruder to their love interest than the other, but they're all the same. and i think that has to do with the way my humor works. they're all the same because they're written by the same person, and i'm still navigating the world of writing.

i'm off topic again, sorry.

moral of the story... i don't know. i guess just try to be diverse with the words you use?

oh! and don't use aave unless you're black, and even then be weary of it. if you use it and your white or any other race/nationality beside african american ...

👁👄👁

➖👄➖

👁👄👁

there's this little (HUGE) thing you're doing that's called cultural appropriation (unless of course you've just grown up around it. but i'd still be weary about using it no matter what race or nationality you are as it's considered "unprofessional").

from: your favorite author ;)