6 - Galdin Quay

The panoramic view of Galdin Quay against the sunset is breathtaking as Noct and his retainers make their way onto the Quay.

As the prince and his royal guard head up the entrance ramp towards the Quay's main complex, a man approaches them, his appearance strange. His hair is loose and unkempt, a purple-ish red color that stands out amongst the throng of people at the Quay. His clothes look both formal and tattered at the same time, cut well, but also trailing after him. The layers of clothes are dark and grey, swathing him, ending in bell sleeves embroidered with lace.

He approaches them with purpose, almost like he was waiting for their arrival. Unfazed, Noct, Gladio and Prompto move forward. In the corner of his eye though, Ignis sees Chrys put a hand to her temple and falter in her steps, almost as if some wave of pain has moved through her at speed. She stumbles and grabs the railing, her eyes squinting in pain. Ignis moves to her as the stranger approaches Noct, his own shrewd eyes evaluating the newcomer.

"I'm afraid you're out of luck," the stranger says in a honeyed, drawling voice.

"Are we?" Noctis asks, hands on hips as the stranger stops in front of the group.

"Are you alright?" Ignis asks Chrys quietly and hurriedly. Something about the man is setting off alarm bells in his mind and he wants to be at Noct's side. But he also never seen Chrys act like this.

"I'm fine," Chrys grinds out through gritted teeth. "Go to Noct," she whispers, "I'll be alright."

Giving her an unsure look, Ignis joins Noctis as the stranger says, "The boats bring you here."

"What about 'em?" Prompto demands. Ignis sees the way Prompto's hand wanders towards his belt, almost as if he wants to have the grip of his gun in his hand. If even Prompto is getting weird vibes from this stranger, something is afoot.

"Well, they'll not take you forth," the stranger says. His words are almost too formal, as if he comes from a bygone age. His voice is particularly melodious for a man and he moves his arms about expressively.

"And what's your story?" Gladio demands, eyes narrowed and appraising.

The stranger shrugs. "I'm an impatient traveler, ready to turn ship," he says. His eyes scan over Noctis and his kingsguard. "The ceasefire is getting us nowhere."

The stranger flips a coin across his knuckles and tosses it to Noct. Gladio catches it out of the air before it can hit Noct in the face, his dark gaze on the stranger. Ignis risks a glance back at Chrys. Normally she'd do exactly as Gladio had done but she's gripping the railing like her life depends on it and keeping her face away from them. All he can see is the tight line of her jaw and the creases at the corners of her eyes.

"What's this?" Gladio demands brusquely. "Some sort of souvenir?"

"Consider it your allowance," the stranger says with a mysterious smile.

"Yeah, and who's allowing us?" Gladio reposts. His hackles are up and Ignis keeps an eye on Gladio's hands lest the bigger man go for his sword.

"A man of no consequence," the stranger says flippantly and brushes past them. He turns his head when he walks past Chrys, as though considering, the first glimmerings of interest appearing on his face.

Chrys keeps her eyes down and away as the man passes her, and Ignis can see her chest rising and falling faster than normal, as if she has been running hard while they talked to the stranger. "Your companion seems distraught," the stranger remarks over his shoulder to the boys. He looks up and down Chrys while she studiously refuses to bring her eyes up to look at him. "Intriguing," the stranger whispers mellowly and then strides away.