11 - A King's Last Message

As the outpost draws into view, Ignis very gently taps Chrys's thigh to wake her. Shortly after their conversation, she'd succumbed to sleep, the lines on her face smoothing out briefly. She'd muttered a bit under her breath, some tense dreams disturbing her. With so many potential sources, Ignis decides to keep his eyes on the road and try not to ponder.

Gladio had roused not long after Chrys had fallen asleep and the two of them talked as the youngest three slept. The big guy is worried sick about his sister Iris and Ignis knows that his placating words are just words until they can meet up with Cor and get the full story. They hadn't talked much more, each worrying about different things, the weight of Insomnia's fall heavy on their shoulders. Gladio doesn't make mention of Chrys, sleeping in the front seat with her head pillowed on her shoulder, but his eyes are kind on her.

Chrys wakes with a jerk at Ignis's touch, her head slamming into the seat headrest and she mutters "ow", massaging her scalp with tired fingers. The braids at the base of her skull have loosened a bit in the past couple days and she sets about tightening them quickly before Ignis pulls into the outpost, Gladio waking the boys. They are likely going to have to keep finding times to nap when they can with the uncertainty of the future ahead of them.

At the Prairie Outpost, they meet up with Monica, one of the Crownsguard. Her eyes take in their ashen faces and shares their sadness on her own. "Your Highness," she says by word of greeting. "I'm glad your safe." Noctis nods in acknowledgement.

"Where're all the others?" Chrys asks, looking like she's bracing from a blow.

Monica's face is stricken. "Most of the Crownsguard didn't make it." Chrys's face visibly pales, and Ignis hears her suck in a harsh breath. "It was all we could do to get Lady Iris out of the city," Monica continues, sensing Gladio's itchy anticipation and placating it. "Dustin is with her as we speak, seeing her the rest of the way to Lestallum."

"I owe you guys big time," Gladio says with genuine gratitude and thanks in his voice. Ignis can see the way the relief smooths out the sharp edges Gladio has had around them since the overlook and mentally checks it off of his things to worry about mediating. When Gladio is prickly, it makes Noct surly faster and Gladio's harsh sarcasm hits a little too hard with Prompto sometimes. A calmer Gladio is good for them all.

"You should head for the royal tomb," Monica tells them. "The Marshal awaits."

""""""""""""""""""""""""

The five of them pick their way through the shrub brush towards the tomb, occasionally needing to deal with monsters. Gladio goes after them with gusto, perhaps blowing off the last of his residual anxiety. Prompto and Noctis are a bit distracted and Ignis is forced to cover them multiple times, but keeps his censure to himself, knowing they are tired and allowing the excuse for once. Chrys helps him watch the two boys, her face unreadable, movements clinical. It worries him that Chrys is retreating from them again but there are bigger things that occupy his big brain and he will just have to live with it for now.

"Can't keep up with this guy," Gladio says of Cor at one point as they descend into a small gulley, trees clinging to the rocky faces around them, slippery with dew.

"First the Crown City, then Hammerhead, then the royal tombs?" Prompto asks.

"His nickname should have been 'Cor the Restless'," Ignis agrees, winding around boulders, the thin layer of water at the bottom of the gully sloshing against his boots.

"Somehow not as catchy as 'Cor the Immortal'," Gladio replies with a touch of his usual wry humor.

"Making it out of Insomnia only adds to his legend," Prompto adds, clearly doing a bit of hero worship in his mind. Cor does have quite the reputation and Prompto is still a young man after all.